Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanbowlin

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Hey guys! So I got these on day one and I love them overall. The only issues I've ever really encountered seem to stem from Apple's reluctance to give these a dedicated power button. Like many of you I had problems with sever battery drain while in the case, etc. I'd often just keep them plugged in when not in use as I was tired of pulling them out after a weekend of not using them to find them dead. Thankfully Apple seemed to have fixed this issue via a firmware update or something. No longer was I leaving my headphones idle and finding them dead the next time I'd like to use them.

But... I have found another issue which is also kind of annoying and I think it's related to the battery drain issue/fix. I've spent some time on here looking around and haven't seen anyone else discussing this. So I wanted to toss it out there and see if anyone had this problem as well if there was a fix I wasn't aware of.

If I leave my headphones in the smart case for a day or two they always seem ready for me when I need to use them. Excellent. But if I leave them in the smart case for a bit longer, say three or four days, I pull them out and find them unresponsive. I press the buttons. Nothing. Press and hold both buttons to try and get a reset. Nothing. No indicator light flashing, nothing. The Max don't show up on devices, etc.

At first I thought this was just the battery drain issue again. But that's not the case. The only way I can get the headphones to turn on again (and this happens rather instantaneously) is to plug them into a lightning power cable. I plug them in, immediately unplug them, and I'm back in business. And if I check the battery indicator I'll see that they're full of charge too!

This isn't a huge deal. It's better than the headphones just being dead all the time. But... it is kinda annoying, right? Enough of an annoyance that I wrote a post about it. Hahaha. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a simple solution I'm unaware of? Or do I have to just go hunt down a brick and lightning cable every time this happens? I could see this potentially being a pain point while traveling. Another device that I have to babysit or make sure it's ready to rock before I thrust it out upon the open road. Hahaha.

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope I've just overlooked something that someone can help me with. Or... maybe apple can just make some sort of secret button press pattern (like a secret handshake for us Max owners to do with our headphones lol) to turn them on and off like a normal freaking device. Hahaha.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I never encountered this issue. Do you run the latest firmware update? It may fix it. Or try to hard reboot the APM.

If none of that works, maybe there’s a defect with your unit, and I recommend you to go in Apple Store to give a look on it. Maybe they can fix it themselves, otherwise they will give you an other pair of APM. I know it’s not a big deal and you could probably live with it, but you paid 550 USD for these and it’s more than reasonable to require headphones that works as advertised. If there are no Apple Store near you, they can help you via chat of phone.

lmdbeatmaker

Cancelled
Nov 20, 2021
Hey guys! So I got these on day one and I love them overall. The only issues I've ever really encountered seem to stem from Apple's reluctance to give these a dedicated power button. Like many of you I had problems with sever battery drain while in the case, etc. I'd often just keep them plugged in when not in use as I was tired of pulling them out after a weekend of not using them to find them dead. Thankfully Apple seemed to have fixed this issue via a firmware update or something. No longer was I leaving my headphones idle and finding them dead the next time I'd like to use them.

But... I have found another issue which is also kind of annoying and I think it's related to the battery drain issue/fix. I've spent some time on here looking around and haven't seen anyone else discussing this. So I wanted to toss it out there and see if anyone had this problem as well if there was a fix I wasn't aware of.

If I leave my headphones in the smart case for a day or two they always seem ready for me when I need to use them. Excellent. But if I leave them in the smart case for a bit longer, say three or four days, I pull them out and find them unresponsive. I press the buttons. Nothing. Press and hold both buttons to try and get a reset. Nothing. No indicator light flashing, nothing. The Max don't show up on devices, etc.

At first I thought this was just the battery drain issue again. But that's not the case. The only way I can get the headphones to turn on again (and this happens rather instantaneously) is to plug them into a lightning power cable. I plug them in, immediately unplug them, and I'm back in business. And if I check the battery indicator I'll see that they're full of charge too!

This isn't a huge deal. It's better than the headphones just being dead all the time. But... it is kinda annoying, right? Enough of an annoyance that I wrote a post about it. Hahaha. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a simple solution I'm unaware of? Or do I have to just go hunt down a brick and lightning cable every time this happens? I could see this potentially being a pain point while traveling. Another device that I have to babysit or make sure it's ready to rock before I thrust it out upon the open road. Hahaha.

Thanks in advance for your help! I hope I've just overlooked something that someone can help me with. Or... maybe apple can just make some sort of secret button press pattern (like a secret handshake for us Max owners to do with our headphones lol) to turn them on and off like a normal freaking device. Hahaha.
hi,
I run with the same issue. the last time I use my APM was on November 18 and today the 21 I took them and nothing. I try everything hard reset and also your trick it don't work for me. Can please go deeper with your explain. thank u

memeisland

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Same thing has been happening to me for many months. I sent them to Apple to fix, and they returned them with a note saying that they couldn't replicate the issue. It's so annoying. They just don't turn back on after a few days.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Design flaw. Well documented with the wakefiled case. I don’t use the smart case, so never faced this issue. Battery is fine

memeisland

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Design flaw. Well documented with the wakefiled case. I don’t use the smart case, so never faced this issue. Battery is fine
How do you not run into this issue then? Not use the magnets in the Waterfield case?

memeisland

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2021
Yep, you are correct.
Do you run into any battery drain issues? Apple told me the APM goes into ultra low power mode after 72 hours regardless of the case being on or not... so I'm wondering what the point of the magnets is anyway.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Do you run into any battery drain issues? Apple told me the APM goes into ultra low power mode after 72 hours regardless of the case being on or not... so I'm wondering what the point of the magnets is anyway.
Nah, I just charge it when it’s low. Battery life is not a concern for me with these. the drain % is quite minimal so it doesn’t matter

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I have the same problem. I’m good if I use them every day but if I skip a day they shut down and the only way to get them to turn on is plugging them in. It’s really annoying because I like using them on my lunch break but if that happens I usually just put them back because I don’t have time to do all that.

Ryanlee12345!

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2023

Hey there, this is Ryan and I was replying back to the similar post. I know it’s been a while since you’ve made this and I would like to get further information because this is continuous happened to me. I’m I’m seeing a similar pattern that if I take them off the charger they don’t work Right now the blue light is on and they’re out of the case but when I pull off the charger, nothing works can you please please please get back with me thank you

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I really wish the Max headphones had a dedicated on off switch. My beats studio three always connect and have amazing standby time. They don't sound near as good as the max but I wish the AirPods Max had that "feature".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.