Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I own AirPods and I rate them as

• Excellent

Votes: 403 70.5%
  • Good, but I've got some problems

Votes: 134 23.4%
  • No good, I'm returning them to Apple

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs and Apple is doomed, etc.

Votes: 21 3.7%

• Total voters

dave2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra
Has anyone tried using just one? I am deaf in one ear so I would only be using one.

Yes, it works fine. Unfortunately they are designed to fit right and left and aren't interchangeable, so one of yours would be useless to you- unless you swap with someone who is deaf in the other ear....
[doublepost=1482186297][/doublepost]
T
Humorously, Apple doesn't include a USB-C lightning cable. Why can't Apple get on board with their own decisions? I.

I solved this problem by buying one in the Apple Store. It was only $30 or so

Reactions: MacSimpson

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
There is problems with using just one. For example I kept the right AirPod in the case and only used the left one. The problem is one of the features of AirPods is that if you take one out of your ear, the music will pause. Instead when using only one, if you take it out of your ear the music will pause, but when putting it back in the music does not start up again.
[doublepost=1482185869][/doublepost]
Exactly, using just one is fine but the auto pausing and playing does not work correctly.

You can fool them into thinking that they are still in your ears by covering one or both of the small circular holes on the side.

I did this to test out how loud they sound - outside my ears.

So if for example you only want to use one, you could cover the hole on the other and they will think both are in.

The other one should be outside the case for this to work though.

Last edited:

philipc121

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2009
London, UK
Happy with them so far!

Here they are, in their new home on the hall stand...
IMG_0044.JPG

Contra1971

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
Seems several people already got them, but no one has posted pictures of them and I am curious to see the main reason why I haven't ordered any it because I think they may look silly but maybe I am wrong maybe they will grow on me...pics please

Reactions: hufflematt

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I currently sleep with EarPods in, so I don't think it would be less comfortable than that.
This is the main reason I bought AirPods. Lol

I love mine and I would rate them excellent, except it's strange I can't single tap to play/pause.
Seems several people already got them, but no one has posted pictures of them and I am curious to see the main reason why I haven't ordered any it because I think they may look silly but maybe I am wrong maybe they will grow on me...pics please
They look kind of bad in ear. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    943.6 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I keep having the problem that they are dropping when I'm on a call. I've turned of all the other bluetooth in the area, laptop, other phone system, other headphones.. and yet they'll drop. Is there a firmware upgrade necessary or does one have to purge all networking/bluetooth settings to get things to work? they paired just as fast as advertised and they seem to stream music fine.

int79

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2013
So after a day of use: sound isolation is clearly not the intent with AirPods, but, clarity is good, in a quiet room they are aquatlly quite impressive! The convenience is second to none. And they have not fallen out yet, despite my best efforts to shake them free :D oh and I'm getting used to the double tap for Siri, the beam forming mics make it effortless for Siri to understand me, so that's nice. Hope everyone is loving them as much as me :)

royinla14

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Not going to write a long post but in short - love these. I never used the Apple earpods (was always against the plastic feel). Always wanted a true wireless, easy to use, and quality sound, which now I have, and the truth is that I love the feel as well! So all together will give it 10/10. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is if the max volume is really it, since it is not super loud.
[doublepost=1482200016][/doublepost]
Am in two minds whether to keep them so far. They do slip out of my ears and I need to keep pushing them in every few minutes. In fact I nearly lost one after only about 20 minutes of ownership. I had to play music at full volume to track it and then found it in my hood.... I will try different angles/positions etc. but maybe I just have funny ears and these will not work for me.

I have Siri set to "not allowed" from the lock screen on my phone and I see that this means you then cannot use Siri with the airpods unless your phone is unlocked. So that makes it useless. I have just changed the double tap to pause/play. Seems crazy I cannot do basic play/pause/volume without allowing Siri interaction from my lock screen. At least I can do all the control from Apple Watch so not the end of the world I guess.

Beautiful little devices though and it's an incredible piece of technology.
how do you change the double tap to play/pause?

ankhie

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
So far so good!!!! Better sound quality and build, compared to the earbuds!

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
If I'm listening to music on my phone (or whatever) whats the easiest way to get the volume controls work on my Watch?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If you are using Apple Music bring up the Apple Music App on your Watch.

If you are using something else then start the "Now Playing" "Dock App" on your Watch. I put "Dock App" in parenthesis here... because it used to be a "Glance" but now it's just something you can add to the Dock via the Watch setting App on your phone. (Let me know if it's not clear)
[doublepost=1482202845][/doublepost]
If I'm listening to music on my phone (or whatever) whats the easiest way to get the volume controls work on my Watch?

My post above was in reply to this...

bigmanofds

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
After reading the responses from actual owners, I gather the AirPods experience is different for Apple Watch owners as opposed to non-watch owners. I always use my watch to control my music on my phone. I never use the controls on the EarPods, nor do I use Siri. The main reason I want the AirPods is for when I get a call, I press the green button on my watch and just say "Hello." From what I am reading, I will be able to do that quite easily. So, it looks like my only problem with AirPods is availability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.