Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I own AirPods and I rate them as

• Excellent

Votes: 403 70.5%
  • Good, but I've got some problems

Votes: 134 23.4%
  • No good, I'm returning them to Apple

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs and Apple is doomed, etc.

Votes: 21 3.7%

• Total voters

Jaklap

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
Anyone know if apple stores keep separate inventory for service/exchanges?

I was sick of waiting, and had some amazon credit, so I paid a reseller for a pair of airpods, and received them on monday. I LOVE them, but the seam on the right pod seems slightly uneven, and is sort of sharp on the bottom of the pod. The result is that the inside of my right ear is being irritated and scraped raw.

I'm hoping I can make an apple store appointment, and that I won't have any trouble getting a new right pod. If you run your finger over the left and right pod, you can clearly tell the right one feels harsh and wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of situation? I've seen other people around the web experiencing these sort of issues.

Reactions: ascender

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007

I was sick of waiting, and had some amazon credit, so I paid a reseller for a pair of airpods, and received them on monday. I LOVE them, but the seam on the right pod seems slightly uneven, and is sort of sharp on the bottom of the pod. The result is that the inside of my right ear is being irritated and scraped raw.

I'm hoping I can make an apple store appointment, and that I won't have any trouble getting a new right pod. If you run your finger over the left and right pod, you can clearly tell the right one feels harsh and wrong.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of situation? I've seen other people around the web experiencing these sort of issues.

Look into first what Apple's policy is on resellers. Do they honor their warranty if it isn't sold by an official reseller? I am personally not sure.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Interested in this thanks.

Wondering if there are any BT dongles out there which are easy to connect to. They won't be as easy as IOS devices with the W1 chip of course, but I'd be interested in one that detects the Airpods as fast as possible.

Or are they all pretty much the same?
I just received my USB Bluetooth dongle, for use in my PC (Core i7 4770, motherboard H97M-D3H, Win 10-64 bit). It was the cheap CSR8510 A10, using 4.0: https://goo.gl/FOIhaN

It cost me the equivalent to 5 dollars, and when plugged to my computer, it was recognized immediately, and once there I paired the Airpods and the sound quality is perfect, can be adjusted to a volume even higher than what I was getting in other equipment. So to answer my own question, it does work and so far I didn't have any issues.

P.S. A way to create a shortcut and deactive bluetooth when needed:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/29...s-to-windows-10-settings-on-your-desktop.html

Once paired to Windows, if Bluetooth is reenabled it will interrupt the use of the Airpods with other devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

DanDilla

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2016
Lüneburg, Germany

I started to feel irritated at the seam pretty quick as I was in hospital the week after I got them and wore them like 14h a day.
But I think these seams (at least on mine) were just normal, as i didn't mention them before I wore the AirPods 12h straight (with 3 15min charging breaks).
If I'm just listening to podcasts, volume around half I'm getting over 6h on 100%. :)

I "fixed" it with a nail polish/ file thing (don't know the name, it got 8 steps with different fine polish steps).
I just polished it with the 2 finishing / finest grades until there was no ridge left and it was 100% even. Looks minimal matte now, but not that it couldn't happen with normal wear.

But if you think one is failing on the sound you should consider visiting the geniusbar.
The Apple Stores should have some units for replacement, but that's just based on some posts I read here...

Warranty should be fine if they were not sold to the reseller more than 12 month ago as Apple manages this over the serial numbers. Not sure what's the thing when they were sold at another country you're claiming the warranty in.

Last edited:

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Did anyone order the new earskinz? They started shipping them. (No they don't fit in the case)

DavesIknow

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Canada
the earpods are the only earphone that fits nice and doesn't hurt my ear...i am hoping that the airpods fit exactly the same as the earpods and have ordered a set...

is that the general consensus? thanks

dubvulture

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2015
Did anyone order the new earskinz? They started shipping them. (No they don't fit in the case)

Just got mine today. I had been using Earhooks and they work OK. The Earskinz are awesome. The fit securely, are comfortable, and the improvement in sound quality is greater than I expected. Very happy with the purchase.

Reactions: ascender

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
My right AirPod doesn't recognize the double tap every once in a while. If I shake it that usually fixes it. I guess the accelerometer is getting temporarily stuck. It's going to be hard to show this at an appointment. If it gets worse or more frequent I'll take it in. Launch day AirPods. Anyone else experience this ?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
still loving my air pods but damn i wish i cleaned my ears more. certain bits get stuck in them and it's hard to clean out now

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
still loving my air pods but damn i wish i cleaned my ears more. certain bits get stuck in them and it's hard to clean out now

Thought you returned them since you preferred the Solo3, which I prefer as well. Unfortunately I returned my AirPods but would consider gen 2 with improved sound quality.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thought you returned them since you preferred the Solo3, which I prefer as well. Unfortunately I returned my AirPods but would consider gen 2 with improved sound quality.
Nah got both. I was going to get powerbeats then air pods were released. Very happy with the air pods. Sound wise they are enough for podcasts and gym. Beats solo3 are my main music usage for loud music though

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Do you have access to a shower, daily?

(Only kidding man).:D

Mine mainly need a wipe down of the body oils they attract. There's a sense of satisfaction after cleaning them though, as they become more grippy & like new. Reborn!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you have access to a shower, daily?

(Only kidding man).:D

Mine mainly need a wipe down of the body oils they attract. There's a sense of satisfaction after cleaning them though, as they become more grippy & like new. Reborn!
lolthats the thing I do clean them in the shower but my ears dunno create wax quick lol...wish these things were water resistant then i could put them through water to clean them properly.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Solo3 are just so much better to me. Fantastic sound quality and 40+ hours of battery life with the W1 chip. I'd use the AirPods for runs but they're expensive relative to the market (Solo3 are regularly on-sale for $199 or less). The AirPods are still impressive and I do think there's a W1 headphone for everyone.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I am having an unusual problem here... been using in Windows 10 64 bit an USB dongle 4.0 and the AirPods. They work fine, but if I use MPC-HC or even VLC and select another audio track other than the main one (example: a dubbing instead of the English track), the audio is muted and even the YouTube stream is muted. And if I switch back to the first track now it becomes muted.

The only fix is to close the player and reopen, however I'll continue to be unable to listen to the alternate track, the dubbing, or audio commentary for example. And the file checked is a Matroska lossless from Blu-ray.

Do you have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

P.S. I paired the AirPods with the USB dongle, and repaired just to make sure. Still happening.

P.P.S. I made an important discovery: if Bluetooth is disabled in Windows settings, then I open the video and switch to the dubbing/alternate track and enable Bluetooth and the AirPods again, the track will be heard. But if there's a manual switch from me to another track from the same file, the bug occurs AGAIN and it's all muted until I close and reopen the player. That proves to me that it's the mere switch that causes all this. Do you guys have any idea why?

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Interesting rumors of the new iPhone where air pods could be included in the box..not sure that's believable though

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
For the record, I measured how much time it takes after a full discharge of the Airpods and their case (which never goes to 0, it remains at 5%, even if not charging the Airpods), to fully charge both.

After 90 minutes, if I open the charger case: 100% Airpods, 91% for the case. So it takes a little more than that to have them fully ready.

Note: after 2 hours it's 100 and 99%, however at this point the LED is already green, not amber. That must mean it's fully charged.

Last edited:

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
I like everything abut my launch day Airpods EXCEPT when you pause music/podcasts the volume is not remembered. It reverts to the what your iPhones speaker is set at which for me is full because I like to hear my alerts. So when I am using the Airpods and I pause them, if I get an alert it is full volume which really is bad for my ears and somewhat hurts. I have reported this to Apple but I don't think enough people have complained for them to address it.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I discovered what was causing this issue, with the dongle CSR8510 A10: it was the fact that I was using Windows native drivers. When I switched to these drivers mentioned here:

http://www.gleescape.com/posts/3093

The problem was solved.

I tried a newer version from here:
https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers...lable.html?s=17404eee4d1b0a8ea77b6d97cb8ea590

But it didnt't recognize anything properly, including the Airpods.

But I will not be able to stay with any of them. That is because the DS4 controller (last version) could not be detected. I see that these drivers are from 2011-12 and that explains why they can't detect devices to be paired most of the time. I use Windows 10, and since I used Windows native drivers, that explains why the mere switch of audio/subtitle tracks was enough to mute everything. Unfortunatelly there are no recent drivers, so I will have to find another USB dongle instead of this cheap one.

P.S. I did more tests:
http://imgur.com/a/Hjpvl

And discovered that if we switch to "Airpods Hand-Free - Handset" the audio quality will be very poor, but this problem will not happen. The other option is Airpods - Headphones - Stereo". Maybe this has something to do with a conflict? I tried disabling the former, but that didn't do any good.

And here's a workaround while using MPC-HC with a file that contains multiple tracks: create a shortcut and place in Windows desktop. Write that inside it:

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1

Then, open and close that shortcut while switching to another audio/subtitle track. The audio will be heard.

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Interesting rumors of the new iPhone where air pods could be included in the box..not sure that's believable though

I'm sure that's Apple's plan at some point in the future - it just depends on when they can get the cost of AirPods down to the point where they can include them with all iPhones.

Or..... they're included by default on the premium iPhone X/Pro/whatever they call this flagship phone that's being rumoured.

I'd like to see them offered as an option on the Apple Store for new handsets where you can choose wired or wireless and pay the appropriate (discounted?) amount for AirPods.
[doublepost=1495808374][/doublepost]

Yes, they keep a separate inventory of individual L and R airpods and cases.
[doublepost=1495811143][/doublepost]
Just got mine today. I had been using Earhooks and they work OK. The Earskinz are awesome. The fit securely, are comfortable, and the improvement in sound quality is greater than I expected. Very happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'd forgotten to check and see if these were shipping yet so have just ordered a pair.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
I'm not sure if people are aware of this or not, but you can buy the AirPods from BestBuy and not wait 6 weeks for delivery.

I placed my order on 05/18. The confirmation email read:

BBOMS_OrderDetails_SHIPTOHOME.jpg
Ship to Home Items
MKT_WB_Spacer.gif

MKT_WB_Spacer.gif

5577872_rd.jpg;canvasHeight=130;canvasWidth=130

Apple AirPods White
Model: MMEF2AM/A
SKU: 5577872
QTY PRICE
1 $159.99
Item is on backorder
WILL SHIP BY:
FRI 06/23

On 05/24, I got an email saying that the order shipped:

5577872_rd.jpg;canvasHeight=130;canvasWidth=130

Apple AirPods White
Model: MMEF2AM/A
SKU: 5577872
QTY
Order currently in transit
ORDER SHIPPED ON:
WED 05/24

I received them today (05/27) and love them! They sound so much clearer and more 3D-like than regular earbuds. Can't quite put a finger on it yet, but they just sound better.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Ordered some of these this morning. John Lewis got stock of them online and I just happened to browse iStocknow and seen it.
Delivered tomorrow.

I haven't even had these on my radar as I don't have an iPhone currently, but have been wanting some wireless headphones and these looked like the best design to me.

I do have an iPad and a MacBook though, so will use them predominantly in / around the house with them.

From what I gather, they do work with Android, just obviously not optimised etc?

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
From what I gather, they do work with Android, just obviously not optimised etc?
AirPods doesn't have built in volume control method so you'll have to use the Android device's controlling methods to change volume. Also when you want to switch between Android and Apple device, you'll have to pair them again. Switching between Apple devices doesn't require that.

Reactions: Aneres11

uscgrad

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2017
Ordered some of these this morning. John Lewis got stock of them online and I just happened to browse iStocknow and seen it.
Delivered tomorrow.

I haven't even had these on my radar as I don't have an iPhone currently, but have been wanting some wireless headphones and these looked like the best design to me.

I do have an iPad and a MacBook though, so will use them predominantly in / around the house with them.

They're not W1 so no iCloud based connectivity but as Android doesn't have an equivalent you're no worse off than you would be with any other wireless earphones. Just get that iPhone ordered :cool:

Reactions: Aneres11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.