Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I own AirPods and I rate them as

• Excellent

Votes: 403 70.5%
  • Good, but I've got some problems

Votes: 134 23.4%
  • No good, I'm returning them to Apple

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • Tim Cook isn't Steve Jobs and Apple is doomed, etc.

Votes: 21 3.7%

• Total voters

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Interesting to see what B&O has done with gestures for their new Beoplay E8 Bluetooth earbuds...

Tap & hold to adjust volume was the first thing that jumped out at me. Something that could easily be implemented in the Airpods.

IMG_1885.JPG

Reactions: DeepIn2U

dgreening

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I enjoy them for music, but they are terrible for calls. Here is a video of the issue I'm having. Anyone have suggestions.

I will have to disagree with you about being terrible for calls. I have had no issues at all with making calls, taking calls. If my airpods are around and I need to make a call I put them in.

Reactions: OBirder

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Ι only hope Airpods 2 to have noise cancelation.....thats the reason i sold them. Very poor quality on noisy places.

Not sure how practical it is with such a open design plus it would eat batteries unless the phone did the work.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I could resist no more and finally got a pair of airpods. I absolutely love them. The ease of use, the charging case, being able to use just one etc... There may be room for improvements such as volume control but I have to say I'm glad I got them.

Next version should come in a charging case you can attach to keyring, and something to secure them to your ears for when you are outside and moving around a lot..although mine seem to stay in ok I am nervous about losing them...A black pair would rock.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
I could resist no more and finally got a pair of airpods. I absolutely love them. The ease of use, the charging case, being able to use just one etc... There may be room for improvements such as volume control but I have to say I'm glad I got them.

Next version should come in a charging case you can attach to keyring, and something to secure them to your ears for when you are outside and moving around a lot..although mine seem to stay in ok I am nervous about losing them...A black pair would rock.
I even take them with me when I'm out for a run. Not nervous about losing them at all. if they fit your ears, try some handstands and some jumping jacks at home in a safe environment. If that doesn't make you lose them, you don't need anything to secure them. Once again:
None, you'll look weird. They're not meant to have straps.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Been on the fence for a long time on these but finally bit the bullet.

Here's an observation from a new Airpods owner: These headphones are great, even better than I expected. I'm surprised how "bassy" (but not booming) they are even compared to my Bose QC35's. The treble on these is also great and combined with the bass, produces a well balanced sound.

It's good to be able to hear around me while my buds are on for a change. I admit, my QC35's noise cancellation spoiled me a lot but sometimes I want to be aware on what's going on around me without looking oblivious. Maybe, just maybe the Airpods 2 will incorporate some kind of noise dampening. But for now, I'm good.

Walking with them for the first time was a little nerve-racking because they felt as if they're about to fall off. But I quickly realized how snug they were to my ears, which normally were not kind to the wired Apple buds. One advice I can give is to wipe your outer earlobes with a dry towel or cloth before putting the buds on. This can result in an almost glued-on effect. I had to do this once in a while on really hot days because the buds tended to lose their grip a little.

The case/charger is a thing of beauty...an Apple gadget indeed! The easeness of initial pairing to my iPhone and the fact that I can have 24 hrs. of juice with it is amazing!

If there's one thing I would like as an update (preferrably through firmware) is to have gestures added for skipping and volume control. Tapping Siri to simply adjust volume is very time consuming because it takes about a few seconds for it to happen.

Overall, I can recommend these to those who are still on the fence.

Last edited:

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007

Here is a water resistant silicon case with a clip to attach for carrying the charging case for the AirPods. It works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Catalyst-Pre...4715489&sr=8-2&keywords=catalyst+airpods+case

Reactions: Ladybug

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
(...) So all in all yet another very happy customer here.
Still quite the happy puppy except when gaming on my iMac 27" - I've been experiencing some dropouts preceded by noise/crackling. Sound drops off for a few minutes and then comes back again, also preceded by noise/crackling. Happens perhaps once an evening, and only when gaming and only on my iMac. No issues on other (i)Devices.

hubieonekanubie

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Kansas
Apple will tell you to backup your phone & test the Airpods on a factory reset phone. (Another App may be causing your issue).

If that's too much hassle, maybe try another pair of Airpods?
I've had them replaced once so it's not the AirPods. I've confirmed with apple it's a known issue with no known solution at them moment. Hopefully iOS 11 fixes it as well as the new phone when it's released.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
As someone for whom Apple headphones have never really fitted my ears, the addition of EarSkinz has transformed the AirPods in to something I can use for running which I didn't think possible. The lack of sound isolation is still annoying, but its a pretty amazing feeling to be running with absolutely no cord or anything. So if you're on the fence about these due to fit, definitely check out the EarSkinz as an option.

ceparker27

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Finally got mine. After 20 minutes of playing with them, here's some thoughts:

• The instant pairing is magical. It's really awesome to have them immediately recognized by the iPhone and to have such a simple transition to the MBP and back.
  • The audio quality is better than the EarPods for sure, and I loved the EarPods.
  • I've only had issues with one program so far, Guitar Pro 7 by Arobas. It turns the quality into garbage when used together. Everything else has been fine for me. Which whatever, I can use my wife's Beats when I want to write I guess, but I just can't do it on the go anymore. Hopefully they update the program.
  • I love not being tethered anymore. It's awesome.

bigmanofds

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
Well, I’ve had my Airpods for about 12 hours now and I must say they are at the least an upgrade from the standard earbuds in every way. In fact, the phone, watch, and Airpod combo is an awesome experience. Also, I really didn’t think wired or wireless made much of a difference. But you notice the difference immediately, like with in the first few minutes, especially if you are always on the move and use the standard earpods daily. I now realize how much time I spent untangling wirers in a day. As for the price, they are steep for most including me. However, if I can get at least 3 or 4 years of use, then I can justify to myself the purchase was worth it.

DaveyVigs

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2016
sorry for the long post... (and I know there are too many of these questions)

I got BeatsX at launch, using them for 10 days (returned them) but didn't like the wire or how they looked when in my ears (the flat wire needed to be turned just the right way before putting in my ear to not bow out and look weird). They have a good battery life and sound quality but that chord is a foot too long for my liking... Now Best Buy has a deal for them for $109 but I am still curious about those AirPods.

EarPods tend to hurt my left ear (know ears need to be "trained" with these) but they are still way better than the original iPod/iPhone headphones. I have these from Apple and LOVE them but they obviously can't connect to my Apple Watch, so I thought about a Bluetooth transmitter dongle for them but know it won't be as good as BeatsX or AirPods.

AirPods sound like the best option for me since I have an iPhone, MacBook, TV and soon to be watch with LTE.

Just wondering if anyone had both and feels similarly - Or if anyones knows of a good BT transmitter to keep their favorite headphones instead.

edfoo

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Australia
Had Earpods that came with my iPhone 6 in 2014, until I lost them a few months ago. Got the Airpods a few weeks ago. In terms of the ear buds fitting in my ears and the sound quality, I find both Earpods and Airpods the same.

J Michael T

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
This is why I have a 6+ that is my beta tester, and my go to phone (7+) stays on the most current OS. I used my beta to update the airpods in the beginning, once they were working, I have not connected them to my beta tester since. Once it is on later firmware, it says. These latest iOS10's haven't provided anything that beta 1 of iOS11 has.

I have a fear that Apple will either mess it up prior to iOS 11 release date, or worse yet, take a feature away (because they feel it isn't ready for primetime on release date).

Update: had them checked out by APPLE and they replaced the right Pod. No issues since so it pays to visit the store if yours are not working correctly.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
I just picked up a set of pods. They fit perfect in my ears and dont seem to fall out. If you are looking for great sound quality these might not be for you right now. They seem to be tuned for Apple Music specifically, they sound great when listening to music from there. My personal music from itunes does not sound that great.

I am hoping Apple will be able to push updates on these to improve sound quality, probably not. I think I should have waited for Pods2.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I am having intermittent charging issues with the AirPods case for the second time. A few months ago it was only with the right AirPod at first, and Apple replaced the entire case with a new one.

Two months later and just a few days ago I noticed both the left and right are having intermittent charging issues. Sometimes I take them out and one is significantly lower than the other, or both are near 0%. I don't see any debris in the bottom of the charging case or on the AirPods so I don't know what could be causing this. I take very good care of them as well.

I love AirPods but am not impressed with having to get them serviced twice within the first year of owning them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.