Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadded

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Did anyone notice that delivery dates for orders that were already placed have been changing?

I placed my order and had Dec 20th delivery. Just looking now it shows Dec 28 delivery.

Mine is still set for dec 21st delivery.

Darryl.Jenks

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Self-absorbed
Good bye. Apple will always welcome you back. In the meantime, be careful now that your privacy and security will be at great risk to the extent you use Android or Google products...Good Luck.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply you and I wouldn't see each other again from time to time, but to the extent you're able to convey messages on behalf of Apple, thanks.

I have what I consider to be legitimate dislikes about the new hardware. I don't hate Tim, I don't hate you; it's truly nothing personal, other than to say I personally can't stand the new keyboards and the willingness to sacrifice utility at the altar of thinness. But I am also concerned about the points you raise (and quote). I'm not really sure what to do about that. Privacy is important to me, and I find myself unable to square my ergonomic needs with my philosophy.

So since you brought it up, please allow me to ask you a sincere, non-sarcastic question: what do you recommend? I enjoy following Apple/other tech developments on this board and others, but I am absolutely a neophyte. Therefore I am ill-equipped to make decisions like these, and would learn a thing or two if you'd be willing to help. Specifically: what non-work email should I use; what guarantees me Apple won't change their business model as you suggest Google might, and; given that the birthmarks, flexibility and personal grooming habits of several dozen celebrities are available for public examination thanks to an iCloud hack, why is using Apple's ecosystem any more comforting than the alternatives?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Oh, I didn't mean to imply you and I wouldn't see each other again from time to time, but to the extent you're able to convey messages on behalf of Apple, thanks.

I have what I consider to be legitimate dislikes about the new hardware. I don't hate Tim, I don't hate you; it's truly nothing personal, other than to say I personally can't stand the new keyboards and the willingness to sacrifice utility at the altar of thinness. But I am also concerned about the points you raise (and quote). I'm not really sure what to do about that. Privacy is important to me, and I find myself unable to square my ergonomic needs with my philosophy.

So since you brought it up, please allow me to ask you a sincere, non-sarcastic question: what do you recommend? I enjoy following Apple/other tech developments on this board and others, but I am absolutely a neophyte. Therefore I am ill-equipped to make decisions like these, and would learn a thing or two if you'd be willing to help. Specifically: what non-work email should I use; what guarantees me Apple won't change their business model as you suggest Google might, and; given that the birthmarks, flexibility and personal grooming habits of several dozen celebrities are available for public examination thanks to an iCloud hack, why is using Apple's ecosystem any more comforting than the alternatives?

It isn't. Too much scaremongering here about Microsoft/Google. You'll be okay with whatever platform you decide to use.

GalaDaliGirl

Suspended
Sep 19, 2014
Not just Google cloud services. Any of their products and services. Android, Pixel, Google Maps, Google Docs, Photos, Assistant, you name it. They are all just feeders for a central repository on you because that's the holy grail that advertisers will pay for. That's the same for Facebook and why Zuckerberg's famous line recently that people are taking this privacy thing too seriously. Facebook goes out of business overnight if they don't have your private info to sell. Ditto for Google. Fortunately, Apple has a different model and ethics.

100% correct.

Just read Facebook Messengers user agreement. It's sickening.

There is no EFF anymore. It's the Wild Wild West.

Privacy is gone. Zuckerberg can suck it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I didn't get my order in on time and have to wait 6 weeks while you folks enjoy your airpods for the holidays so therefore they are stupid looking, over priced and just dumb! I hate you Apple! :p

sapbasis

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Just received notice that my AirPods have shipped. Estimated delivery is 20Dec16. :)

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016

Apple has updated its website to indicate AirPods are now estimated to ship in 6 weeks in the United States and many other countries around the world. The wireless earphones have been available for purchase on Apple's website since yesterday, with initial orders set to be delivered as early as December 19.

AirPods-duo.jpg

Apple said AirPods will be shipping in limited quantities at launch, so it is unsurprising that shipping estimates have quickly slipped from 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 6 weeks around the world. The delay means customers who have yet to place an order will likely not receive their AirPods until 2017.

However, those who missed out still have a chance, as Apple said AirPods will be available for purchase at Apple Stores, authorized resellers, and select carriers next week. Apple noted stores will receive "regular AirPods shipments," and customers would be wise to call their local store ahead of time to confirm stock.

AirPods are Apple's all-new $159 wireless earphones. The cord-free My delivery date was changed from Dec 21 to 20!! Thanks, Apple!!earphones instantly turn on and connect to your iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, or Mac when taken out of their charging case. Likewise, audio automatically plays as soon as you put them in your ears and pauses when you take them out.

AirPods, driven by Apple's custom W1 chip for one-tap setup, deliver up to 5 hours of listening time on one charge, and a 15-minute fast charge provides up to 3 hours of listening time. The accompanying charging case holds multiple additional charges for more than 24 hours of listening time.

AirPods use optical sensors and a motion accelerometer to detect when they are in your ears. Doubling tapping an earpiece invokes Siri, which can be used to adjust the volume, change the song, make a call, or get directions. An accelerometer works with beamforming microphones to filter out background noise.

Article Link: AirPods Now Estimated to Ship in 6 Weeks
My delivery date was changed from Dec 21 to 20!! Thanks, Apple!!

xinam

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
UK
Still on for the 19th for me. However, the wife informs me that she will be taking them off me, and wrapping them up for Christmas. Yeah, good luck with that love.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

You've made the most important first step--you've become sentient and developed an awareness that there is an insidious threat to your privacy and security from major corporations. It's insidious because we have been groomed to think the threat is primarily from hackers and these corporations are benevolently giving us "free" things.

The next step is to educate yourself as to the scope of the threat. Sadly, the vast majority of folks have never read the "privacy" policies of the two major corporate threats, Google and Facebook. Ask folks who use Google photos if they realize that they have given Google and "its partners" a worldwide license in perpetuity to their family's photos and you will get a shocked response. Ditto if you ask them if they are aware that law enforcement can subpoena every place that they have ever driven. For example they have no idea that Google is creating these de facto massive dossiers on individuals and they never consider how that could be used against them or their family and friends now and in the future by Google or a government, hacker, intel agency, etc.

Fortunately, there are ways to mitigate, though not eliminate, the threat to your privacy and security. It starts with realizing that the only reason Google/Facebook, etc., give you something for "free" is to gather that information about you. Like a vampire who needs your blood to survive, both companies will die immediately if they couldn't sell your information. Thus, the obvious basic thing is to use services that don't depend on gathering your info. You've made an important choice in choosing Apple because their model is built on selling you a privacy benefit, not selling you as a their product. Certainly, never use Google products.

1) Read and Research

Lots of resources all over the web to get you started to how you can combat the Borg of Google and Facebook, two quick beginners examples to get you going, but you will find many

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...7/google-maps-duckduckgo-web-history/2155759/

http://www.inc.com/larry-kim/5-online-privacy-tips-from-edward-snowden.html

2) Never use Google products. Can't emphasize this enough. They are the Borg. God Bless Apple for offering us alternatives like iOS, Apple Maps, Apple Mail, Photos, etc.

3) Use a ad blocker and tracker blocker. It will change your on line life to see how much more pleasant the web is when you use these, but most importantly their are an amazing and alarming amount of trackers that are placed on your computer when you visit most sites. For example, if I turn off Ghostery right now on MacRumors, there are 17 different trackers that Google, Facebook and other companies will install to track everywhere I go on this page and elsewhere on the web!

4) Use a VPN

4) Encrypt

Good luck and welcome to the Resistance. You can defeat the Borg!

gregoryalee

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
My point is, Apple isn't perfect, but they aren't run by idiots either. You think they wouldn't be aware of all the points you just mentioned above?

Yes I get all you are saying. I think anything is possible when you have large corporate entities. Yes they are the leader right now. But if you look beyond the dollars, you will see the cracks. I saw lots of people literally living off of dividends from Microsoft stock have to go out and get jobs after it crashed.

I don't want to get into details as we both could go on and on. Both IBM and Microsoft along with their stock market followers didn't think that it was possible to capitulate as a market leader. It happened with them, and it will happen with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.