Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

random-uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Quick question for any AirPods owners out there:

If you leave the pods outside of the case when not in use, do they go into a 'sleep' mode or does the battery continue to drain?

(thanks)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Quick question for any AirPods owners out there:

If you leave the pods outside of the case when not in use, do they go into a 'sleep' mode or does the battery continue to drain?

(thanks)

If they are out of the case and connected to Bluetooth, they will consume battery. Even if they are out of the case and not connected, some battery draw will occur.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
If they are out of the case and connected to Bluetooth, they will consume battery. Even if they are out of the case and not connected, some battery draw will occur.
That I already proved here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...by-battery-life.2022799/page-22#post-24600685

Even if all your devices have Bluetooth disabled the Airpods will continue to waste battery. In less than 12 hours they dropped from 100 to 0%. Meaning that once paired the Airpods will waste perhaps 4, 5% or more each hour. This is ridiculous, but it's the way Apple created these phones.

I haven't checked if they waste any battery if reset to factory settings and not paired.

Bottom line: NEVER let the Airpods outside the case unless you are really going to use them.

In the tests I conducted I saw the battery from them and the case remained at 100% after 24 hours without the case being opened. So once the Airpods are inside that charger case they are turned off.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That I already proved here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...by-battery-life.2022799/page-22#post-24600685

Even if all your devices have Bluetooth disabled the Airpods will continue to waste battery. In less than 12 hours they dropped from 100 to 0%. Meaning that once paired the Airpods will waste perhaps 4, 5% or more each hour. This is ridiculous, but it's the way Apple created these phones.

I haven't checked if they waste any battery if reset to factory settings and not paired.

I wish there was a way to actually shut off the Airpods, being they are continually in use. I would like to see Apple improve the standby time. Perhaps Bluetooth improvements would suffice.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I wish there was a way to actually shut off the Airpods, being they are continually in use. I would like to see Apple improve the standby time. Perhaps Bluetooth improvements would suffice.
Apple needs to upgrade their firmware and instruct these Airpods to not broadcast any signal that constantly tries to check for things. They broadcast how much charge is left and even if BT is totally disabled they pretend they are still connected.

The Airpods are so awful in this regard that even if BT is on and you hit DISCONNECT in the iPAD settings, they still show as CONNECTED after a while.

The reason I complain about this is that I would prefer to leave them outside the charger case to grab and use them more quickly. Of course if I ACTUALLY use them they should waste their charge, but just being outside that case and not be used makes no difference for them and they continue to waste ridiculous ammounts of charge anyway.

One difference between them and the Apple Pencil is that the Pencil, once paired to my IPP 9.7, if I disable Bluetooth, I need to plug it into the lightning port again. If I disable BT the Airpods will still be paired.

Another difference is that even if paired and NOT USED (to draw anything) the Pencil wastes perhaps 10, 20% in 24 hours. Not 100% in less than 12 like the Airpods.

At least charging the Airpods is really fast.

random-uk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Wow thanks for the great responses! Hope Apple fix that in the firmware at some point

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple needs to upgrade their firmware and instruct these Airpods to not broadcast any signal that constantly tries to check for things. They broadcast how much charge is left and even if BT is totally disabled they pretend they are still connected.

The Airpods are so awful in this regard that even if BT is on and you hit DISCONNECT in the iPAD settings, they still show as CONNECTED after a while.

The reason I complain about this is that I would prefer to leave them outside the charger case to grab and use them more quickly. Of course if I ACTUALLY use them they should waste their charge, but just being outside that case and not be used makes no difference for them and they continue to waste ridiculous ammounts of charge anyway.

One difference between them and the Apple Pencil is that the Pencil, once paired to my IPP 9.7, if I disable Bluetooth, I need to plug it into the lightning port again. If I disable BT the Airpods will still be paired.

Another difference is that even if paired and NOT USED (to draw anything) the Pencil wastes perhaps 10, 20% in 24 hours. Not 100% in less than 12 like the Airpods.

At least charging the Airpods is really fast.

Speaking of firmware updates, they need to release firmware notes when they release the update to at least acknowledge what issues or adjustsments were made.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Speaking of firmware updates, they need to release firmware notes when they release the update to at least acknowledge what issues or adjustsments were made.
There's a thread discussing exactly this:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ck-down-on-generic-app-release-notes.2039458/

Apple and most developers never fully disclose what they changed in the release notes. This is a common practice these days...

And speaking of wasting battery when not in the charger case, can you guys tell how much other Bluetooth headphones waste when compared to the Airpods? Or how they are charged? The Airpods are my first BT headphones, so I don't know about others.

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Curious about few points :
1. Call quality , Is it clear and loud on the other line ? (Comparing to 1 ear bluetooth headset or apple earpod)
2. Will the other line hear our background noise ? (Comparing to 1 ear bluetooth headset or apple earpod)
3. Per How many days do we need to charge the airpod "house" ? (Average)

I'm interested in purchasing one, but concerning the high price, still hesitate

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Curious about few points :
1. Call quality , Is it clear and loud on the other line ? (Comparing to 1 ear bluetooth headset or apple earpod)
2. Will the other line hear our background noise ? (Comparing to 1 ear bluetooth headset or apple earpod)
3. Per How many days do we need to charge the airpod "house" ? (Average)

I'm interested in purchasing one, but concerning the high price, still hesitate
2. Yes other line can hear background noise. On a windy day I was calling my friend and he complained that he could barely hear me as all he heard is the wind noise. He also complained about car passing by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.