Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dstart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Post your Airpods Pro 2nd generation case findings as they appear in this thread. Although the external dimensions of the second-gen case are the same as the first, we have new openings required, e.g. speaker, and lanyard. Apple hasn't listed any options as of yet.

Reactions: xenoako

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Will work original AirPods Pro case? I have one really beautiful from wood

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
If you look at the specs its the SAME size. The only thing thats different is the bottom and the right side. The bottom has the single mic circle on the left of the port and 3 holes on the right for the speaker. The right side has the lanyard loop.

All cases should fit but you will be blocking the mic and speaker. If you dont care about that and dont plan on using Find My, then your existing cases should work.

The reason I know this is because I've been looking at amazon every day to order a new case for my APP 2. I finally found one today but my goal was to use my old APP 1 case until I find a APP 2 case. I dont plan on using find my and havent yet on any of my airpods but I also dont want to purposely block the speaker and then have to use it later and it not being helpful cause I blocked it.

Thats my 2 cents

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
What for is the mic bottom? Alarm for Find My? I have very gorgous Airpod Pro 1 case which I would like to use ..

luigi.lauro

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
Milan, Italy
There is no trace of a "mic" in magsafe charging case on any apple material, as far as I'm aware. My guess is that the two bottom grilles are for the speaker (maybe driver + air intake), and nothing else, but I could be wrong.

So in theory an AirPods Pro 1st get protective case could work, but would surely block out lanyard, speaker (used by Find My), and potentially also wireless charging.

Reactions: xenoako

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I'm also using my first gen case and found you can hear all the chimes, etc. I tried find my and I could hear it. I'm sure it's not as loud as it would be if the holes were there but seems fine for now at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.