Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Full disclosure - this is going to sound like a stupid question. I think it's just a matter of me not seeing the obvious.

So, the AirPods Pro come with a charging cable ........... and that's it ......... no brick or anything.

Of course, the cable isn't compatable with my iPhone 11 charging brick. And there is literally zero instruction on how you're supposed to charge these up. Was I supposed to buy a certain kind of charger for this when I bought AirPods Pro? So, I've got a charging wire ..... with an end that doesn't fit my iPhone 11 brick.

What am I missing here?!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Yeah you’ve got a USB-C to Lightning cable eh.

If you had a iPad Pro from last year, you could use that brick.

Or a free USB-C port on your PC/Laptop.

If not, then you’ll need to do what I did - buy a third party brick with USB-C port. Mine‘s 18w.

That or use a Qi-compatible wireless charger, though people have had issues with them & the AirPods Pro case...not sure why...

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Perhaps silly question #2 .... why would Apple sell you a product with essentially no way to charge it? All my other Apple products came complete with charging equipment .... iPhone, MacBook Pro, Watch, etc ....

Seriously, this is weird. And they don't even make mention of this anywhere! How many people bought AirPods Pro thinking it comes complete with everything needed for charging right out of the box?!

I took everything out of the AirPods Pro box ... held the AirPods Pro in one hand and the cable in other with a "deer in the headlights" and confused look on my face.

Reactions: 1196403

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Perhaps silly question #2 .... why would Apple sell you a product with essentially no way to charge it? All my other Apple products came complete with charging equipment .... iPhone, MacBook Pro, Watch, etc ....
It’s a good point.

They were clearly banking on existing “Pro” Apple customers having a USB-C brick/port or wireless charger somewhere.

But some (like yourself) were left out in the cold.

Reactions: djr7572

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
It’s a good point.

They were clearly banking on existing “Pro” Apple customers having a USB-C brick/port or wireless charger somewhere.

But some (like yourself) were left out in the cold.

Now I see you're point, too. Funny, this isn't even something that crossed my mind when I purchased my AirPods Pro. Really annoying, though.

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
If you have a USB-A to Lightning cable (which comes with iPhones), you can use that to charge the Airpods Pro.

Reactions: Ntombi

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
You can just about use any charging cable to charge your AirPods charging case as long as it's lightning cable. You don't necessarily have to use the one it comes with. I have a lot of charging cables that when I get new product I don't even open those and remains on the box. Once they are frayed and no longer works, then I simply toss those away.

You can also charge your AirPods on the inductive charging pad if you have one, since it can charge without being plugged in.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Just use the same cable and charger you use for your iPhone 11. The AirPods case charges pretty quickly so you should be able to charge it before your charge your phone.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Yes, you are over-thinking this. Just use any Lightning cable you already have. When you eventually have a usb-c brick, you can use the included cable.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I was thinking you just wanted to make use of the USB-C cable that came with it.

Yeah, of course, the existing cables for iPhones etc. can be used, though they won’t be as quick, but I don’t think the difference is noticeable.

I’d already had my USB-C/A combo brick on me (so didn’t buy it just for the AirPods), so just used that, as I wanted to put the AirPods Pro cable to use for both my AirPods & iPhone.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Oh, that’s funny! I didn’t even notice what came with it. When I opened your post, I was confused at first. How can someone not be able to charge the AirPods? (I get it now)

The case has a lightning port, so I use whatever lightning cable is closest. I have both USB-A and USB-C cables plugged in throughout my house; only the cables next to my bed are color-coded.

Reactions: djr7572
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.