Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azappledan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Arizona, USA
Around when iOS 14 was released, I noticed a cracking issue with music playing through my AirPods Pro. Through Apple Support, I got replacement Left and Right AirPods, both of which experienced the same issue, and then they sent me a brand new pair of AirPods Pro, and the same thing happened. Recently, i purchased a pair of AirPods Max, hoping the issue was restricted to the AirPods Pro, and they are doing it too! (The audio clip below is an example of what it sounds like, through my AirPods Max). Occasionally, after the cracking occurs, the AirPods stop playing music completely, requiring me to unpair them and repair them to continue listening. I have been in contact with Apple Support since October and they have been unable to solve the issue. Has anyone else experienced this, or a similar, issue? I am thinking it is an issue with iOS 14, or maybe an issue with the bluetooth in the AirPods.

Some things I noticed:
  • This happens in all three modes (ANC, Transparency, and Off)
  • Happens at my work place and at my home
  • Only happens when streaming music
  • Happened with my iPhone X and then, when I upgraded, my iPhone 12 Pro Max. This also happened while watching the Apple iPad Keynote this year, streaming through my PC (Surface Pro 6).
  • I have tried resetting the AirPods and my iPhone multiple times to factory settings, to no avail
  • When I got my first pair of AirPods Pro replaced, they ran diagnostics on them and found everything was OK, but they were still experiencing the issue

Reactions: janezblond

sjm88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I am having this exact issue with AirPods Max - have re-paired numerous times. Did you find a resolution?

azappledan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Arizona, USA
I still have not found a resolution. I am unable to take my AirPods Max to the Apple store due to the pandemic, but I am going to immediately when my stores reopen. I am just glad to hear of somebody else having this issue, I thought it was just me.

bigcat

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2008
So I am having this same issue with my AirPods Max and my iMac and I thought the issue could be Big Sur. However, I still have the problem after installing yesterday's release of Big Sur that apparently fixed some bluetooth issues. I am starting to suspect the AirPods Max, my AirPods Pro work just fine for hours. The Max won't stay connected for long, sounds start breaking up then it drops completely.

Ftomacruz

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2021
I just got a new AirPods max and it’s doing this same thing. I’m listening to an Audible audiobook on my iPhone 11 with the latest iOS.

sjm88

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
My working hypotheses are that a) there are Bluetooth issues in recent Apple OS releases; and b) AirPods Max are somewhat sensitive to wireless interference.
I have had stuttering and dropout with my AirPods Pro recently (which I have not had before), which leads me to think the OS updates may be contributing.
Anecdotally, my AirPods Max did seem to even out after a while and this issue has been less prevalent for me lately. I have also been more home-based though, not walking through the city as when I first noticed many issues.
Mine are now acceptable (for me) - but I hope they continue to refine the Bluetooth stack, as my AirPods Pro now drop out regularly, particularly with the Apple Watch. Seamless “it just works” connectivity is a bedrock component of the AirPods value proposition, so this should be a priority!

Reactions: Bobo Pinky

Bobo Pinky

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2021
I just posted this.... (April 27, 2021):

So.... I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max (my wife has a 12, I'll come back to this in a moment). After my wife LOVING using her AirPods Pro on her phone (iPhone 12) I decided I wanted a pair. So.... hello Amazon!

Pods arrive, I pair (and wait for firmware update to pods, FYI I am at iOS 14.4.2, and as of this AM at 14.5) and listen to some music. All sounds good. Then I get on a phone call. Every 20 - 90 seconds there is this POP, or CLICK sound. I hang up the call, call back, and the same. Then I (do as Apple wants us to do) un-pair, reboot, fully charge, etc. and try again. Same thing. Noise canceling on, off, still the same. Sooo.... Send back to Amazon, get replacement.

Replacement - do ALL the same. Same POP or CLICK.

Sooo... un-pair and pair to my wife's iPhone 12. Test. PERFECT, no POP, no CLICK. Then... I pair her AirPods Pros (a few months old pair) to my iPhone 11 and.... POP, CLICK. "Hello Amazon... I have a return - AGIAN"

Sooo... Not thinking anything would come of it, today I upped to 14.5, and did the Apple Watch (yes be both have those) update. Un-paired my wife's pods from her 12 and paired to my 11. Same old POP or CLICK.

So... can anyone confirm the are having the same issues with an iPhone 11 and AirPods Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.