Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariaizadi

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
I followed instructions on reddit and put a pair of comply tips under the silicone tips. It works great.

Ariaizadi

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2015
Do you have a link to that?

Here is a video of it. But I did mine differently. I was nervous about the case not closing as it naturally does so I went with these Comply tips as they are narrow instead of round and fatter. I also peeled the plastic slot from the middle of the foam tip which made it fit much better under the silicone tips and on the AirPods.

Reactions: BadMelonFarmer

Yabadabadoo!

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2019
These are some very ingenious mods!

Yabadabadoo - where did you get the threaded stud and how did you fasten it to the bud?

Thanks

(Should have mentioned I'm looking at something to use in my hobby woodworking shop - so need maximum NRR. I tried Isotunes FREE that work well for isolation and sound quality but they are supposed to be sound limited to 85dB but seem to be a bit below this so may look at APP with better NRR.)

Sorry, I have been busy and recovering from hernia surgery so I haven't had much chance to use them for work with power tools much lately. I also had an ear infection from experimenting with the different tips and wearing them too much and probably also from using saliva to help insert them. I will not be trying that again! I have been using the Symbio mod mostly out of convenience and since I haven't been working much with power tools or in extremely loud environments. I will report back when I do use the screws more. The APP noise cancelation is an interesting tech that requires the internal microphone be available to the sound in the ear canal so I don't know how the screws with their reduced size canal will work with that but they definitely function well as ear plugs that you can still use as a headset with some quality loss. I believe I linked the Comply tubes that I used in a previous post.

xtrem

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
I tried with Comply Truly wireless foam and Apple Large. The lid will only close 98% without any extra work.

christian.terra

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
with the symbio tips, does anyone know if it really makes that much of a difference that they cover the "vents" in the tips. it's impossible to keep them from covering them.

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Finally received the foam tips I ordered off Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link to my exact purchase: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Replacement-Ear-Tips-Buds-For-Apple-Airpods-Pro-Airpods-3-Headphones/274140499698?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=574261147090&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And...

Well I am surprised to report, they are nice. The main requirement for me was an ear wax guard. I want to keep my pods speaker grill clean. And they do have a membrane protecting the speaker. They appear to be just the plastic tip covered with a thin foam covering. I ordered the six pack. All six are the same size. I think they are similar to the medium tips. In the photo below, I placed a small Apple tip in there for comparison. If you have ever used Comply foam tips, these are not the same foam material. With the Comply foam, if you squeeze it, it compresses and then slowly expands. This is not that type of foam. These have a thin layer of foam. I'm trying to think of something to compare it to, but can’t think of what. It doesn't stay compressed when squeezed. They feel comfortable in my ears and the sound seems exactly the same as the standard tips. They connect and snap on the pods fine and seem to stay connected. They also fit perfectly in the case. I only just received them so my opinion may change, but for now I have to say I am happy with them. Thumbs up from me. Kind of strange, they came in this box.

IMG_0210.jpeg

IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg

edit: thinking about it, they’re not memory foam just foam. i like them just the same. hope comply eventually makes some.

Last edited:

AirPods_FallOut

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
Hey guys, I use my APP at the gym and sitting idle at my desk at work. In both situations, they work themselves out of my ears, more so on a treadmill. Can anyone attest to the memory foam mod helping their AP stay in their ears? Like an idiot, I have to wear a headband on the treadmill to prevent them from falling out. I tried all the ear sizes and just ordered some memory foam tips from Aliexpress, hopefully Ill get them before Christmas

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Hey guys, I use my APP at the gym and sitting idle at my desk at work. In both situations, they work themselves out of my ears, more so on a treadmill. Can anyone attest to the memory foam mod helping their AP stay in their ears? Like an idiot, I have to wear a headband on the treadmill to prevent them from falling out. I tried all the ear sizes and just ordered some memory foam tips from Aliexpress, hopefully Ill get them before Christmas

try a different ear tip size... I personally started out with the smaller tips then switched to the medium one. It's a better seal and they don't fall out when running or sweating

AirPods_FallOut

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2020
try a different ear tip size... I personally started out with the smaller tips then switched to the medium one. It's a better seal and they don't fall out when running or sweating

Hey, I did this, I tried all three sizes and I've experienced the same result. As soon as I start to sweat, I can feel them slowly work their way out of my ears.

Reactions: dooku77

IRF

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2020
Yep i unfortunately facing same problems! Only to see that the same happens with the Comply T500 memory foam too... The mod in wich you remove the hard plastic core of the Comply tip and work em around/underneath the apple silicone tip. They still slip out, slower but they still loose seal and work their way out! I have a perfect fit and seal btw with all sizes but they don’t stay for a long time. Especially when talking, chewing gun and simply smiling. I guess its the oils in our ears and the silicone combined. I’m waiting for a foam solution desperately, since these are great sounding so far.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California

I have similar issues, and I've finally come up with a solution I'm really happy with. I bought a $5 24-pack of foam covers and these hooks and no longer have any issues with the AirPod Pros getting loose or falling out. Either one, the covers or the hooks, by itself makes a big difference, but in concert they're amazing. One of the problems I had, especially with my left ear, is that the large silicone ear tip wasn't big enough, and the foam covers add that extra amount of bulk that my ears need. I think if I tried really hard to shake them out I still could, but with the hooks, there is no chance of that.

Ironically, I actually bought the foam covers because silicone tips make my ears sweat and itch. I didn't count on them getting me the fit that I really need.

I have not had any issues with the covers sliding off. The APPs will fit in the charging case with the covers on, though I have to press firmly down on the lid, which mashes the foam a little, but it springs back into shape on removal from the case. In any case, I have 11 more pairs of covers when these wear out. Obviously, I do have to remove the hooks for charging and put them back on after, detracting a little from the APPs convenience, but I'd wager it's no worse than wearing a headband and probably more comfortable. I'm thinking of getting a charging case cover with a keychain carabiner so I can put the hooks on that when not in use.

IMG_9628.JPG

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Finally received the foam tips I ordered off Ebay a couple of weeks ago. Here is the link to my exact purchase: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Memory-Foam-Replacement-Ear-Tips-Buds-For-Apple-Airpods-Pro-Airpods-3-Headphones/274140499698?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=574261147090&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And...

Well I am surprised to report, they are nice. The main requirement for me was an ear wax guard. I want to keep my pods speaker grill clean. And they do have a membrane protecting the speaker. They appear to be just the plastic tip covered with a thin foam covering. I ordered the six pack. All six are the same size. I think they are similar to the medium tips. In the photo below, I placed a small Apple tip in there for comparison. If you have ever used Comply foam tips, these are not the same foam material. With the Comply foam, if you squeeze it, it compresses and then slowly expands. This is not that type of foam. These have a thin layer of foam. I'm trying to think of something to compare it to, but can’t think of what. It doesn't stay compressed when squeezed. They feel comfortable in my ears and the sound seems exactly the same as the standard tips. They connect and snap on the pods fine and seem to stay connected. They also fit perfectly in the case. I only just received them so my opinion may change, but for now I have to say I am happy with them. Thumbs up from me. Kind of strange, they came in this box.

View attachment 889019
View attachment 889020 View attachment 889021

edit: thinking about it, they’re not memory foam just foam. i like them just the same. hope comply eventually makes some.
I ordered these and got them today. I like them so far. They seem a little more comfortable to be vs the silicone. I’ll grab some memory foam ones when the come out from comply or someone else but I think these are pretty good.

KennyB123

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2016
What did you not like about them?
I could not get a good seal with them. I tried all 3 sizes and they just would not seal in my ears. Also you have to mount an adapter to the APP and then twist and push the foam piece onto it. It's difficult to change the foam. They give you a toothpick to pry the foam off the adapter, but I found it all a bit hokey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.