Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

"AirPods Pro" will come in as many as eight colors, including White, Black, and a new Midnight Green finish to match iPhone 11 Pro models, according to a Chinese-language report from the Economic Daily News.

airpods-pro-midnight-green-black-concept.jpg
AirPods Pro concept via EverythingApplePro

Google's machine translation of the report is not easy to decipher, so the source of the information is unclear. Eight colors would certainly be a lot, although it is not out of the question given that Apple has made Beats headphones like the Solo3 available in over a dozen colors over the years.

AirPods-b298@3x.png
The report also backs rumors that the AirPods Pro will feature active noise cancellation and water resistance. Last month, in the iOS 13.2 beta filesystem, MacRumors discovered an icon depicting never-before-seen, in-ear AirPods with rubber ear tips that would presumably help to block out ambient noise.

Apple plans to release the AirPods Pro in time for the holiday shopping season this year, according to the Economic Daily News, with the report claiming the earphones could be unveiled as early as next week.

This is not the first time the Economic Daily News has reported that Apple plans to release new AirPods in a black color, as the publication made the same claim back in February. A month later, Apple released second-generation AirPods with Hey Siri support, up to 50 percent more talk time, and an optional wireless charging case, but the black color was nowhere to be seen.

However, it is worth noting that Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple originally planned to release the second-generation AirPods in 2018, but they were delayed, so it is possible the black color was always intended to be for these third-generation AirPods with noise cancellation and water resistance.

Indian blog MySmartPrice also said black AirPods were in the works back in February, claiming they would feature a matte finish with improved grip. Combined with last week's Economic Daily News report claiming that the AirPods Pro will sport a new metal design, perhaps the earphones and their charging case will look similar to the back glass of iPhone 11 Pro models, complete with matching colors.

Leaked photos, knockoffs, and accessories all point towards the AirPods Pro charging case being wider to accommodate the ear tips.

airpods_3_leak_1.jpg

As higher-end earphones, the AirPods Pro will likely have improved sound. Last week's Economic Daily News report also claimed that the AirPods Pro will feature multiple listening modes, suggesting they could have the same Transparency feature as the new Beats Solo Pro, which turns on the external microphones so the wearer can hear outside noise without pausing music playback.

Unsurprisingly, higher-end AirPods would likely have a higher price tag than the current AirPods. Economic Daily News estimates pricing may start at around $259, which would be $100 more than the current AirPods with a wired charging case. However, supply chain reports are usually guessing about pricing.

Apple typically unveils redesigned products during its keynotes, but an October event is looking unlikely this year, so possibilities include Apple announcing the AirPods Pro with a press release, hosting an unprecedented November event, or waiting to unveil them at its typical March event next year.

Article Link: AirPods Pro to Feature New Colors, Including Black and Midnight Green, According to Chinese Report

Last edited:

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
The black ones look pretty cool. But i guess we will see if/when they are announced. I don’t mind not having the noise cancelliation as much as a would on trains. Planes might be a different story as i find the the Bose/beats etc big and bulky...

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I really hope these colors come to the regular AirPods as I really don't like using the rubber suction in ear style of earphones. The normal AirPods are a perfect and comfortable fit for me.

Would love black/gray AirPods, I was never a fan of the bright white style.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Those renders are pretty. Very elegant. Looks like these will be my first pair of AirPods.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
It’ll be hard for me to justify the short lifespan of the product (~2 years of good battery) to pay $270+ for these. If they lasted as long as my Bose noise cancelling (approx same price) that would be one thing, but the tiny batteries do not appear to have a long lifespan. Perhaps they will increase battery life on these to 10 hours and then it might be worth it (50% degradation would get you back to original airpods new)...only time will tell!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And seeing as I have the silver pro max and silver nike watch I will still likely buy the white lol....my devices need to match pretty much

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I can't believe they will have a matte finish, the inevitable "ear juice" would look really grim. I'm definitely interested now though!

Reactions: TotalMacMove

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I really hope these colors come to the regular AirPods as I really don't like using the rubber suction in ear style of earphones. The normal AirPods are a perfect and comfortable fit for me.

Would love black/gray AirPods, I was never a fan of the bright white style.

I always hated those. Always falling out of my ear.

Apple is gonna leave us stuck with original AirPods and AirPods 2, it seems.
[automerge]1572118256[/automerge]
just when we thought the label "pro" had reached a new low, we get these to lower the bar even further

It doesn’t have any meaning anymore. I do not even pay attention to it anymore.

Reactions: arkitect

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
If sound quality is better than the PBP’s I’d consider these.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
What’s the estimated rrp of these? I was going to get the AirPods 2 but these have really caught my interest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.