Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
Since tvOS 14, when using airpods pro with Apple TV, the dialogue is wildly out of sync.

I searched and found the "wireless sync" option in settings, but that only seems to help bluetooth speakers or airplay stay in sync. You can't hear the test tone when airpods are connected. So I can't get adjust the dialogue sync at all.

Is "wireless sync" the right setting to use to get airpods to sync properly with the dialogue?

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
In my quest to try out the new spacial audio feature, I noticed this as well yesterday when watching some shows on Apple+ on my iPad. The bad lip sync aside, it sounded quite nice.

Since Apple products "just works", I would not expect there to be any manual adjustments available to fix this.

gr8hii

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
I had been using the regular AirPods quite happily with the Apple TV late at night after the family had gone to bed. With the new Apple TV firmware, the audio is wildly out of sync. Would be nice to figure this out.

CapeTownMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
I'm still having this issue. Anyone ever find a way to fix this? Maybe a complete restore?
I note your post is quite recent. Last night I was watching "Foundation", and looking forward to Dolby Atmos sound etc. but the lip sync was off - not a lot but enough to be unusable. I've just updated my Apple TV to TVOS 15.0 and my Airpods Pro to 4A400.

Experience shares would be helpful just to know that I'm not alone and a fix would be even better.

Cheers from the Southern Tip of Africa.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I note your post is quite recent. Last night I was watching "Foundation", and looking forward to Dolby Atmos sound etc. but the lip sync was off - not a lot but enough to be unusable. I've just updated my Apple TV to TVOS 15.0 and my Airpods Pro to 4A400.

Experience shares would be helpful just to know that I'm not alone and a fix would be even better.

Cheers from the Southern Tip of Africa.

Even after tvOS 15 update it’s still happening. The wireless audio sync feature does nothing to help. Turning spatial audio off does not help.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Turning off spatial audio fixed the lip sync issue for me. Watching Foundation.

I then turner it back on. And it remained fixed.

Last edited:

Dr-D3aN

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2021
I had the same issue. Every time I watched Dolby Vision content on my Apple TV 4K I had a video delay which was unbearable.

The reason is that the TV is taking more time to process the video (because 4K Dolby Vision has a lot of data to transmit). If the audio is sent back over the TV via ARC or directly transmitted via TV-Speakers you have no problem, because the TV synchronizes the longer processed video with the audio. But if you are using your AirPods or an HomePod your getting your audio directly from the Apple TV and not over your television… and the Apple TV does not automatically know, that your TV takes more time for video-processing. So the audio is faster than the picture

The solution for me was the wireless audio sync in the settings… but here comes the tricky part. The calibration process has to be done with every single Dolby Vision setting. What I mean is that you have to change the format in your settings to every 4K Dolby Vision combination (with 24 Hz, 25 Hz, 30 Hz etc.) because the frame rate can differ from movie to movie (or show to show). And from there you have to calibrate the audio sync with every combination. If you do that your problem should be solved.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I turned off match frame rate and this solved it for me. From what I have read, the newer tv I have already does this and adding Apple TV to do this, also made the audio out of sync? It’s the only thing that’s worked for me. Good luck all!

Reactions: Silverstring

Norskman

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I turned off match frame rate and this solved it for me. From what I have read, the newer tv I have already does this and adding Apple TV to do this, also made the audio out of sync? It’s the only thing that’s worked for me. Good luck all!
This solved the issue for me. Thanks!

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
This has happened to me when using Spatial Audio with head tracking and I get up and walk around for something. When I plant myself back in front of the TV, the audio is lagging which is resolved by pausing/restarting whatever I'm watching.

OhMyMy

Suspended
Oct 21, 2021
This has happened to me when using Spatial Audio with head tracking and I get up and walk around for something. When I plant myself back in front of the TV, the audio is lagging which is resolved by pausing/restarting whatever I'm watching.
Try disabling Head Tracking in Accessibility settings. That should resolve your issue.

Reactions: JBGoode
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.