Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
What happens if you have no internet connection/cellular? Can you still tell Siri to skip a song or control volume?

I am very interested in getting them for AW.

Thai

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I think that i know why Airpods have no physical controls. You use your Apple Watch to control the music...you can skip songs and control volume via AW...no internet needed!

I have made a special playlist that syncs up with AW of my favorite songs. Connect my Airpods to AW and no worries about needing internet to control my music.

And since Airpods connect to all your devices, even if music is on iPhone, you can still control music via AW (i think).

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
^^Sounds plausible to me. Yes you can control the music on iPhone with the watch. I usually use my Apple Watch in the car when my iPhone is plugged in, it's faster than the steering wheel controls.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You surely can control music on iPhone from the watch. Better yet, SIRI on the watch is actually better than on iPhone when control music because she doesn't pause it when you launch her. You can just raise your wrist, tell her to skip the song, lower your wrist and be done, all while music continue to play until it is skipped. Smoother operation.

I would presume SIRI on AirPods will act the same way, that she won't pause music on the watch. And I also believe "Skip" and "Volume up/down" should be native and you don't need internet for them.

Last edited:

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
And I also believe "Skip" and "Volume up/down" should be native and you don't need internet for them.

Apple watch has no native voice controls. Why would the airpods? Siri needs the internet for everything.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Apple watch has no native voice controls. Why would the airpods? Siri needs the internet for everything.

Somebody already said you can start a run by SIRI without your phone so it's possibly has one.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Somebody already said you can start a run by SIRI without your phone so it's possibly has one.

i just turned off wifi and data on my phone (but not bluetooth, so that the watch doesnt connect to my home wifi).

no siri controls work. no workouts, no music controls on the connected iphone.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
i just turned off wifi and data on my phone (but not bluetooth, so that the watch doesnt connect to my home wifi).

Thanks. So he must be mistaken.
[doublepost=1475292652][/doublepost]

Hmm.. but I just turned on Airplane mode on my iPhone and I can tell SIRI to start a run.

???

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
then it's not a great test, unless your run will begin at your front doorstep.

you're connecting over wifi for siri to work. thats why i did it the way i did.

True. I will test it at my favourite park one of these days when it's not raining. I'm sure there is no wi-fi there.
That said, you almost can't do anything internet related when phone in airplane mode though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.