Airpods, right ear muffled?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jockethebastard, Mar 6, 2017.

1. jockethebastard macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem with the sound of my right airpod.
    When using it the sound seems to be more on my left then right. The bass is not ass full in the right ear and the whole sound is a bit muffled.
    I have tried reparing them several times and tried with ATV, MacBook, iPad, AW and ofcourse my iPhone 7+. They all have the same problem.

The funny thing is, its barely noticable at first, but after about 5-10 minutes of listening to music I feel a bit deaf on the right ear.

Best way to describe it is if you have a bassdrum playing in center it feels big and full in my left ear, but it feels like weaker in the right.

Sorry for any bad english.

Thanks

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Perhaps a bad driver in the right Airpod? Haven't heard this issue yet. You might be looking at a replacement with Apple.

3. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

Could it be that the air vent on top of the right AirPod is a little dirty/blocked?
    This air vent mostly produces the bass if I'm correct...

4. jockethebastard thread starter macrumors newbie

I also thought so, but they are clean and pretty much brand new.

I tried setting audio to mono, and the sound does not seem to be balanced.

The sound produced in the right airpod is not bad, if both of them had sounded like that i would not have noticed. But the left one has much more width in the sound and much more "open sound", if you know what i mean.

So wierd!

5. Diiiiips macrumors regular

I've posted about a similar-ish problem before. It's happened to me again with my replacement too. My right one feels a little loose so don't know if wax/dirt is getting in because I push it in a few times per gym session that I wear them.

6. fspilot1971 macrumors newbie

fspilot1971

]
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---

I had the same problem with the right one, Apple replaced it, now only 2 weeks later the same thing is happening to the left one. I have an appointment for Wednesday at the genius bar so they can replace that other one now.

I really love these things but I think on Thursday they will be going up on eBay. I've only had them since June. I feel there is a problem here and Apple isn't addressing it. Or they just weren't ready for primetime.

7. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Glad its not just me

Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt

I deal tho

Cant be in swap hell

8. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

My left AirPod has gotten muffled twice due to excess dirt/earwax in it. It was quite noticeable. First time I fixed it by using the old "toothpick" method that has worked since EarPods. Second time (which was yesterday actually) I tried something different that made them like brand new again and got rid of all the debris.

Googling for a bit led to me trying sticky tack, which mushed itself slightly into the grilles and pulled everything out nicely. I really thought it wouldn't work but my AirPods look and sound like brand new again.

9. fspilot1971 macrumors newbie

fspilot1971

Sadly I tried this and it didn't work. :(

10. jockethebastard thread starter macrumors newbie

Got my right airpod replaced this week, they found something wrong with it but I don't know what.