Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enrincon89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Has anyone experience when placing a call with AirPods and the person on the other end answers and their voice sounds like they’re talking in slow motion ?

I have to hang up and call back again for the sound to be normal again.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Once or twice. Sometimes I get a slightly digitized voice, and my wife says my end of the line mutes for a second or two every now and again.

That being said, I spend about an hour a day using my AirPods for phone calls, and nothing is too bad to cope with.

timdawes

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
There's been a few times where I get this, and recently it's taken to doing it mid-call - sounding like someone's pressed hold on a turntable and then allowing it to spin up again, albeit slower.

I'm also getting them cutting in and out when walking through areas (for me it's a specific part of Sydney CBD).

I kinda hope there's a v2 coming soon

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I have noticed a lot more issues with my AirPods since upgrading my iPhone 7 to iOS 11. They were more or less perfect under iOS 10, but now they seem to cut out or not work at all for phone calls somewhat frequently.

Ntlope

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Has anyone experience when placing a call with AirPods and the person on the other end answers and their voice sounds like they’re talking in slow motion ?

I have to hang up and call back again for the sound to be normal again.

It happens about 5 minutes into most phone calls on iOS11 using my AirPods. Very frustrating (I talk around 3000-4000 minutes per month). Only happens for 2 seconds and then corrects itself but the "slow-motion / hand on a turntable" description is exactly what's happening. The Apple Store said they tried it and nothing happened so it must be a carrier issue (Vodafone NZ).

jnritter

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
It happens about 5 minutes into most phone calls on iOS11 using my AirPods. Very frustrating (I talk around 3000-4000 minutes per month). Only happens for 2 seconds and then corrects itself but the "slow-motion / hand on a turntable" description is exactly what's happening. The Apple Store said they tried it and nothing happened so it must be a carrier issue (Vodafone NZ).

Same thing here. I'm on iOS 11.3.

What I hear slows down - the "hand on the turntable" description is perfect. I've been told a few times that the other person says my voice is very fast, like a chipmunk.

It's like the data connection between the bluetooth and iPhone stops for a few seconds, and then catches up to real time.

It's not a carrier issue - switching to speaker phone resolves it instantly every time. And it NEVER happens on speakerphone while it is now happening on every call with the AirPods in.

I'd be interested to know how many people have the issue and what, if anything, can be done to fix it!

swankster

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I am having the same issue. iOS 11.3 Verizon iPhone 7. Very annoying.

What I hear slows down - the "hand on the turntable" description is perfect. I've been told a few times that the other person says my voice is very fast, like a chipmunk.

It's like the data connection between the bluetooth and iPhone stops for a few seconds, and then catches up to real time.

It's not a carrier issue - switching to speaker phone resolves it instantly every time. And it NEVER happens on speakerphone while it is now happening on every call with the AirPods in.

I'd be interested to know how many people have the issue and what, if anything, can be done to fix it!

japeto00

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2018

[doublepost=1525819224][/doublepost]

i have the same issue and its happening more frequently! its annoying since i paid $159 for these things. has anyone gone to apple and got them to recongize its not a CARRIER Issue. its an AIRPOD issue.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
It is NOT an AirPod issue or they would all have it. I have 3 pairs none of which exhibit this problem.

japeto00

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2018
It is NOT an AirPod issue or they would all have it. I have 3 pairs none of which exhibit this problem.
I have two pairs of air pods and also two phones. My one set of airpods that has the issue is having the issue on both phones. And one phone is a Samsung and the other an iPhone. So unfortunately the issue is with the airpods set I have .

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
I have two pairs of air pods and also two phones. My one set of airpods that has the issue is having the issue on both phones. And one phone is a Samsung and the other an iPhone. So unfortunately the issue is with the airpods set I have .

Take em back to Apple then.

Crescent

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2018
I've been having exactly this issue for months now. Sounds like slow motion on my end, but sounds like a chipmunk for the other person on the call.

I experience this issue consistently when on calls with Airpods.

I also experience the exact same issue when on calls connected to the car via Bluetooth too.

I'd be interested to know if the Apple Watch was interfering at all. Possibly trying to handover or something? Is anyone having this issue and do not own an Apple Watch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.