Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I suppose some of this I can blame myself for, and some of it I can blame Apple for (I still can't find talk-time numbers on their site), but..

At around 60% volume, I drained 20% battery on both EarPods in 20 minutes. So you're looking at around 1 hour and 40 minutes talk time from full battery.

Holy.
Hell.

I just (wrongly) assumed the 5 hours was for listening OR talking.

How wrong I was...

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Cyberspace
I suppose some of this I can blame myself for, and some of it I can blame Apple for (I still can't find talk-time numbers on their site), but..

At around 60% volume, I drained 20% battery on both EarPods in 20 minutes. So you're looking at around 1 hour and 40 minutes talk time from full battery.

Holy.
Hell.

How wrong I was...
I think Apple expects you to use one bud at a time for long phone calls to switch off charging in the case. Lol

teidon

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
In case you happened to order them from Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods), they say this for the battery time:
Power and Battery
AirPods with Charging Case: More than 24 hours listening time, up to 11 hours talk time
AirPods (single charge): Up to 5 hours listening time, Up to 2 hours talk time
15 minutes in the case equals 3 hours listening time or over an hour of talk time

I agree that they should mention that in the main product page for AirPods. They just keep saying that you can "listen for 5 hours" without any mention of talk time. Also with small print they say that the 5 hours is with 50% volume.

But when ever you are planning to buy anything that has a battery, keep in mind that giving any kind of real world battery time estimation is extremely challenging because everyone uses their devices differently. For example in case of computers/phones/tablets, there's huge difference between browsing the web, watching movies or playing games. But yet manufactures are expected to say something like "battery lasts 10hours with full charge".

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I think Apple expects you to use one bud at a time for long phone calls to switch off charging in the case. Lol

This is exactly right. It's only using one bud while on a call anyway so you pop the other one in the charger and you can talk for a long time switching them periodically.

Reactions: nivekr11

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
This is exactly right. It's only using one bud while on a call anyway so you pop the other one in the charger and you can talk for a long time switching them periodically.

I'm not sure what you mean by "using one bud only". When listening to someone with the right and left in my ears, I hear the voice in the middle, so both buds are being used. Am I missing something here?

Reactions: dontworry

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I'm not sure what you mean by "using one bud only". When listening to someone with the right and left in my ears, I hear the voice in the middle, so both buds are being used. Am I missing something here?

I believe you only use one microphone though.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
In case you happened to order them from Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods)

You're asking a lot for people to READ what they're buying. I think 2 hours of talk time is completely reasonable. When it's bluetooth audio it's 1 way communication from the computer to the earbuds, so you get 4-5 hours. So when you double that to 2 way communication, why would one be surprised the time is halved?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I used my airpods for the first time for a long phone call. After 1 hour 44 minutes I got a low battery signal. The airpods were fully charged at the start of the call. I suppose if I'd continued with the remaining 10 % I would have pretty much got the 2 hours Apple state.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have about 2 hours on the case with about 10 minutes talk and rest HD movies. 72% left. I will let it run down and see what the total is.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Holy.
Hell.

How wrong I was...

Do what I do, talk with only 1 ear piece while the other charges and then swap. I was on a 3 hour conference call without downtime. The ear pieces charge quickly.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Do what I do, talk with only 1 ear piece while the other charges and then swap. I was on a 3 hour conference call without downtime. The ear pieces charge quickly.

Can you use them in either ear interchangeably? If I'm doing phone calls I like to use my left ear so wouldn't want to be forced to use my right

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)

This is exactly what I do. The only time I use both earbuds is when I'm listening to music or watching a movie.

Can you use them in either ear interchangeably? If I'm doing phone calls I like to use my left ear so wouldn't want to be forced to use my right

No. You have to use the right one in the right ear and the left one in the left ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.