AirPods talk time is.. well.. really, really bad.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WilliamG, Dec 21, 2016.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I suppose some of this I can blame myself for, and some of it I can blame Apple for (I still can't find talk-time numbers on their site), but..

At around 60% volume, I drained 20% battery on both EarPods in 20 minutes. So you're looking at around 1 hour and 40 minutes talk time from full battery.

Holy.
    Hell.

I just (wrongly) assumed the 5 hours was for listening OR talking.

How wrong I was...

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I think Apple expects you to use one bud at a time for long phone calls to switch off charging in the case. Lol

3. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

I'm likely going to have to do that!

4. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Since I rarely make/take calls, I'd have probably been unprepared for this next month when I call someone. This is good to know.

5. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

In case you happened to order them from Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods), they say this for the battery time:
    I agree that they should mention that in the main product page for AirPods. They just keep saying that you can "listen for 5 hours" without any mention of talk time. Also with small print they say that the 5 hours is with 50% volume.

But when ever you are planning to buy anything that has a battery, keep in mind that giving any kind of real world battery time estimation is extremely challenging because everyone uses their devices differently. For example in case of computers/phones/tablets, there's huge difference between browsing the web, watching movies or playing games. But yet manufactures are expected to say something like "battery lasts 10hours with full charge".

6. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

This is exactly right. It's only using one bud while on a call anyway so you pop the other one in the charger and you can talk for a long time switching them periodically.

7. Larry The L Suspended

I'm not sure what you mean by "using one bud only". When listening to someone with the right and left in my ears, I hear the voice in the middle, so both buds are being used. Am I missing something here?

8. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I believe you only use one microphone though.

9. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Thanks for reminding me that I've not yet read all the specs and user info from Apple I'd have normally read long before buying something new. My lucky purchase the other day was about six weeks earlier than expected.

10. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

You're asking a lot for people to READ what they're buying. I think 2 hours of talk time is completely reasonable. When it's bluetooth audio it's 1 way communication from the computer to the earbuds, so you get 4-5 hours. So when you double that to 2 way communication, why would one be surprised the time is halved?

11. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I used my airpods for the first time for a long phone call. After 1 hour 44 minutes I got a low battery signal. The airpods were fully charged at the start of the call. I suppose if I'd continued with the remaining 10 % I would have pretty much got the 2 hours Apple state.

12. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

I have about 2 hours on the case with about 10 minutes talk and rest HD movies. 72% left. I will let it run down and see what the total is.

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Do what I do, talk with only 1 ear piece while the other charges and then swap. I was on a 3 hour conference call without downtime. The ear pieces charge quickly.

14. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I think this is probably the way it's intended.

15. mrklaw macrumors 68000

Can you use them in either ear interchangeably? If I'm doing phone calls I like to use my left ear so wouldn't want to be forced to use my right

16. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Yes. It works completely seamlessly.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This is exactly what I do. The only time I use both earbuds is when I'm listening to music or watching a movie.

No. You have to use the right one in the right ear and the left one in the left ear.