Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kognos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Since Windows won't charge devices without proper drivers, does anyone else have an issue with their Airpods registering in Windows?

I fully admit this problem might be just me, but I have my airpods as "USB Input Device" with a yellow triangle on it. I can force update a driver and it might find a generic driver that works, but every time I unplug the Airpods and re-plug them in, I've got a yellow-triangle "USB Input Device" and the airpods case fails to charge.

Edit: Windows 10 specifically

Last edited:

kognos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Digging further into this, it appears that there's no driver for windows yet, unless I'm mistaken, does anyone have their airpods hooked up to a windows machine and getting charge to the case?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Digging further into this, it appears that there's no driver for windows yet, unless I'm mistaken, does anyone have their airpods hooked up to a windows machine and getting charge to the case?
I am not sure about this as we only have Macs, but did you try to install iTunes and see if that worked?

kognos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
Windows 10 does not charge devices without drivers. That explains windows 7.

iTunes is installed, latest version.

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
I'm unable to connect Airpods to a W10 bootcamp MAC.

Rebooting as a MAC, works perfectly well with Airpods.

Must be drivers that I need from Windows.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I just tested and my Windows 10 laptop is charging them. I didn't install any drivers, it was automatically recognized as a HID device with 2 entries. One was HID-compliant vendor-defined device, and the other USB input device.

Edit: Other devices that show under the HID sections for me, are two other Bluetooth headphones and a Logitech gaming virtual keyboard and mouse.

Wolfent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2016
I'm not in the habit of necromancing threads, but has anyone found a solution yet? Really irritating issue :/

I recently upgraded my PC, and now my AirPods case won't charge anymore. It worked fine on my last build, but now it's just... stopped? Same issue, gets recognized as a "USB Input device" that isn't working. The case itself lights up orange like it's charging, but gets no charge.

Front and back USB ports don't work. What will work is my pice USB card, but that's a pain since the lightning cable is barely long enough to reach.

I've been trying various drivers included in windows, but none of them are working. None of them will supply a charge. Not sure why the pice card is working and the motherboards and front panel wont.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I don't have the above mentioned problem. I plugged Airpods into my Win10 PC and it instantly recognized them as "Airpods charging case"

komat0zz

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
Since Windows won't charge devices without proper drivers, does anyone else have an issue with their Airpods registering in Windows?

I fully admit this problem might be just me, but I have my airpods as "USB Input Device" with a yellow triangle on it. I can force update a driver and it might find a generic driver that works, but every time I unplug the Airpods and re-plug them in, I've got a yellow-triangle "USB Input Device" and the airpods case fails to charge.

Edit: Windows 10 specifically

Hi guys,

I have solved the problem this way. I plugged AirPods Case to my Windows 10 PC. Then opened Device Manager and deleted Apple iPhone device (iPhone is not plugged), Apple USB Composite device (something like that). Then I deleted USB device with "!" mark inside of HID Devices folder (which is exactly an AirPods charging Case). After this my case have started to charge.
Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.