Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
For those of you who bought the AirPods with the wireless charging case, how well does the wireless charging actually work?
I hear mixed accounts of whether it works fine or not.

I want to know, as I have a number of wireless chargers in my house and one fast apple charger (the one with USB C).
So I want to know:

- How well are your ipods charging with the wireless charger?
- which charger do you have?
- have you tried using a cover on your case if it doesn’t work well?

Thanks!

parker5011

macrumors regular
May 17, 2018
For those of you who bought the AirPods with the wireless charging case, how well does the wireless charging actually work?
I hear mixed accounts of whether it works fine or not.

I want to know, as I have a number of wireless chargers in my house and one fast apple charger (the one with USB C).
So I want to know:

- How well are your ipods charging with the wireless charger?
- which charger do you have?
- have you tried using a cover on your case if it doesn’t work well?

Thanks!

I’ve used them on amazon chargers that cost $10 and on Samsung chargers that cost $49. All charge the same in that they charged constantly. I’ve not had a problem at all.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
No problems here.
  • I have a Yootech wireless charger (Qi-certified and $13 on amazon).
  • They charge great. I put them on the pad and they start charging every time. It’s slower than wired charging but it does the job
  • I don’t have a cover on the case, but just to test, I just placed a piece of soft plastic between the pad and my AirPods case. It still charges just fine.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
That's good to know. all of the answers here seem to say that there isn't much of a problem with the wireless charging here. From reading other threads and on places like reddit, it seemed as if the wireless charging is very finicky and people with some types of chargers (like RavPower, which I have) had issues. Will try it out myself soon.

Pepe4life

Suspended
Nov 15, 2018
The AirPod case is really small, so alignment on a wireless charger is not an issue. My only concern is the heat generation that may cause the battery to degrade faster

iphone joe

Suspended
Feb 10, 2011
NY
I have a question, When you place the airpods on a wireless charger it blinks for a few seconds then goes off. How do you know when it's fully charged?

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I have experienced some problems.

I have a Mophie base and that seems to work ok.

I have a stand up Belkin charger and I have to prop them up on a little box so that they sit in the right place but, once they are, they charge without a problem.

I have a RavPower base and that just flat out refuses to charge them. It cycles through all the indicator lights on the charger and occasionally stays green, but then just starts flashing again after a while and no charge is delivered to the AirPods at all.

I also have this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seneo-Wire...e+watch+stand&qid=1554210751&s=gateway&sr=8-7

It is powered by a micro USB cable and I used an Apple 5w plug to plug the cable into. I left the AirPods on it overnight, a good 8 hours, and they were only at 80% in the morning. Not sure if using a higher wattage plug is going to help (probably not) but I might try it nonetheless. Otherwise, I'm going to have to assume it's just not 100% compatible with the AirPods.
[doublepost=1554211807][/doublepost]
I have a question, When you place the airpods on a wireless charger it blinks for a few seconds then goes off. How do you know when it's fully charged?

You have to open the case next to the phone or check the battery widget on the phone

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Given I asked for everyone’s views I thought I’d provide my experience:

I got AirPods today with the wireless case. I put them into a little silicone case and at first they charged on my RAVPower charger fine, but later had issues. I tried my husband’s and his RAVPower charger worked fine on it. It is a different charger so they must have some compatible ones and some not so compatible ones.

So it depends on the charger itself. But the case did charge fine.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
This is really stupid, and annoys me all the time. We should send a feature request to apple to ask them to change this in a software update. I think the light should stay orange while it’s charging and turn green and off when it’s done.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Mine's finnicky, even on the Yootech charger, it only charges up to 80-89% and then stops charging. I don't know exactly why, alignment isn't much of an issue. It just fails to detect the case and then detects it again after a while. Might have a lemon on my hand.

StarBr33z3

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2017
Mine's finnicky, even on the Yootech charger, it only charges up to 80-89% and then stops charging.
Hm... Very same issue with mine and Baseus Qi Charger. Charges up to 85%-88% without interruptions and then stops/restarts constantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.