Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
I’ve had my APs for two weeks. I thought they would auto-switch with no manual intervention. So before I read about the actual features and being a full blooded US male, I went in with both feet. Unpaired, reset network settings, restarted, reloaded I mean I tried everything on all my devices. I figured something was hung up somewhere due to an Apple security update or something. All I needed to do was clear that corrupted settings.

Well I ended up in a state where the AirPods would not sync to any device; iPad, iPhones or iMac! The strange thing was if I pressed and held the sync button on the back the white pair light would never go into sync modes (flashing white LED), open/close case top and the LED remained green just like things were normal. And so out of frustration I went to Apple chat support, we retracted everything and they were stumped and arranged for replacements to be shipped.

While waiting I figured all I needed to do is a hard reset on the AirPods. But there is no hard reset option. So I took both earbud out of the case, and just left the case open. Hoping the battery would drain and thus cause a hard reset. Six hours later I was sure the buds were drained. Placed them in the case, crossed my fingers and opened the lid.... the white LED started flashin just like they were brand new! Placed next to iPhone, box popped up and synced, jumped on the iPad, MacBook iMac all good.

——- FIX is to let the buds drain. If youre having odd problems with your AirPods you may want to give this a try. YMMV but it worked for me also note Apple suggested that I remove any wraps if I have them attached as that will block signal. (Not sure if it’s true or not)

Oh yeah... I’ve now learned that the feature actually just allows you to PAIR on one device and the AirPods will be accessible on any device with the same Apple ID iMac, MacBook, iPad and iPhone without the need to re-pair. Lesson learned

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.