Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Alright, so we know that after updated to 10.5.2 people were still having trouble with Airport. I was one of them, and I figured it out. Here is what I did:

1. Navigate to Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration

2. Locate com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

3. Drag it to trash

4. Hit the spotlight, type in "Keychain Access"
a) Remove all passwords to every network
*now I don't know if that's necessary, but I did it, and it worked*

5. Restart Leopard

6. Connect to a network and you should be problem free

By deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and restarting your system, you are allowing Leopard to create the new 10.5.2 file.

My theory is, is that the two conflicted with each other so it wasn't copied properly, and thats why some people had the problem and some didn't.

Pabs324

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
New England
i dont have that name in my list. the closest thing that i have is com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist, would that be the same thing. I can connect for about a second and then the connection is lost. is there anyway i can downgrade from this update?

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I tried this but I realized there were like 4 entries in the keychain for my router but I only deleted it once.

Ill try this again when I get home...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i dont have that name in my list. the closest thing that i have is com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist, would that be the same thing. I can connect for about a second and then the connection is lost. is there anyway i can downgrade from this update?

did you look in the root Library are not your user Library?

Pabs324

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
New England
I was looking in the wrong place. thanks for the heads up Rich. I did it and so far so good or at least it seems that way. the PC in the other room has been up and running. thanks for all the suggestions very helpful

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
This didn't work :(.

I've tried EVERYTHING that people have recommended online and I just can't get a stable connection. I give up ....

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
This i notice...

It seems that the update, erases the keychain from keychain app. connect using network diagnostic in order to establish your keychain, otherwise the network pane alone will not do it, no matter how many times you set the settings. Also check your keychain control access tab it should have 2 main elements:System preferences icon and apple80211agent. if not there add them and save changes.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 201

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
this new addition to the keychain did it....

I had to delete all the plist files mentioned because it did not re-connect after I awoke the computer from sleep, so I threw away the system configuration folder, all airport plists files and the keychain, upon restarting the keychain showed the files I was looking for which is the systemUIserver and the airport deamon, (in the keychain lists as: airport) I added the System prefs and the apple80211agent. I think this stabilizes yet again the network.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 190

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I could not find SystemUIServer or Apple80211agent, so I just put allow all programs to ...

I'm hoping this will fix it finally.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I had to delete all the plist files mentioned because it did not re-connect after I awoke the computer from sleep, so I threw away the system configuration folder, all airport plists files and the keychain, upon restarting the keychain showed the files I was looking for which is the systemUIserver and the airport deamon, (in the keychain lists as: airport) I added the System prefs and the apple80211agent. I think this stabilizes yet again the network.

I tried this, but no luck. My airport dropped after 15 minutes or so. 10.5.2 killed my connection to my 2wire router...

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
dropped connection...

"I tried this, but no luck. My airport dropped after 15 minutes or so. 10.5.2 killed my connection to my 2wire router..."

one of my solutions for these dropped network issues is to do a deep router reset, I mimicked these issues to see how I can cross-check the solutions offered, if the plist file solution does not work then a good reset from the router brings everything to normal, I done it twice just to see the results, remember to have an ethernet wire so you can configure your router after the hard reset. Connect your ethernet wire and do a hard reset to erase all your configurations and passwords, if its done properly then you should be able to log into your router by sending the password in the clear or in the password field you type "password" depending on your router's manual, while logged-in re-establish your router's ssid name (remember all settings names etc will be lost) establish your channel and your security, if no security then establish the password for your router, establish your MAC filtering details and all IP addresses or enable your DHCP addresses etc, log out and use your wireless connection to set your settings in the network pane in system preferences, if all is well then disconnect from the ethernet and start testing, test putting the system to sleep or restart and see if it maintains the connection etc. in the network pane remember to have checked:"disconnect from router when user logs out" & "remember any networks this computer has joined" in your preferred network list you should have only yours.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 157

ravikc

Feb 13, 2008
ive been having this problem on my macpro connecting to an airport extreme with 5ghz n only

just added the systemUI and agent80211 to my keychain acccess

i hope it helps

any other ideas?

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
Ok now I ahve another problem with this thing.

The fix I posted works... BUT as soon as I disconnect my MagSafe adapter, it starts dropping my connection even when I plug it back in. So I have to remove that file, restart my computer, and it's fine... until I want to lay in bed.. :mad:

desistyle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Ok now I ahve another problem with this thing.

The fix I posted works... BUT as soon as I disconnect my MagSafe adapter, it starts dropping my connection even when I plug it back in. So I have to remove that file, restart my computer, and it's fine... until I want to lay in bed.. :mad:

Dude, I got so frustrated that I did and archive and install and went back to 10.5.1.

Now i've been going on a day without a dropped airport connection. 10.5.2 sucks..!

ravikc

Feb 13, 2008
adding those files to the keychain access didnt help for me at least on a macpro

i just tried deleting the com.apple.airport.preferences.plist file

so far so good....lets see how long it lasts

thanks

Mlobo01

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Weehawken New Jersey
yes...

just check you keychain access again and I think you will see new files specially an airport file, I think that the upgrade deletes this file from the keychain by accident since that file in the 10.5.2 gets moved from /usr/bin/libexec to Groups:// (all hidden unix files) therefore causing some type of airport disruption, when you delete the Plist files mentioned, upon restart it finds and adds them since they cannot be added manually. Also I noticed that that by deleting the prefs files mentioned I forgot to establish the computer's name in Sharing, so my network had trouble finding the computer, make sure that this important detail gets registered.

iDmitry

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2007
San Diego, CA
Alright, so we know that after updated to 10.5.2 people were still having trouble with Airport. I was one of them, and I figured it out. Here is what I did:

1. Navigate to Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration

2. Locate com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

3. Drag it to trash

4. Hit the spotlight, type in "Keychain Access"
a) Remove all passwords to every network
*now I don't know if that's necessary, but I did it, and it worked*

5. Restart Leopard

6. Connect to a network and you should be problem free

By deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist and restarting your system, you are allowing Leopard to create the new 10.5.2 file.

My theory is, is that the two conflicted with each other so it wasn't copied properly, and thats why some people had the problem and some didn't.

did what u said, works just fine!! thanks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.