Airport A1392 sucks as an access point...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CCPR, Jun 5, 2015.

1. CCPR, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015

CCPR macrumors newbie

CCPR

I've been reading posts on this forum for years this is my first time posting.

I have a seventh generation AirPort Extreme that's plugged into my cable modem at the top of the house, and the wifi is great! 50 to 60 Meg's depending on where you're at.

The router feeds a 50 port switch that serves the rest of the house which also serves as an office.

If you test the Internet at any point in the house on a wired connection it's like 65 MB.

As soon as I plug up the new airport, which is an A1392, to any of the above mentioned ports, and set it to extend the network with matching credentials.... The results are a little less than desired....

I have full wifi signal now, but the speed test down stairs on wifi just fails, it's timing out. Wired test on the lan port are hit and miss.... I got it to test properly once or twice but only after restarting several times.

These devices are simple to setup, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong, if anything? I am used to setting up Asus routers running DD-Wrt or tomato, and I've never had a problem setting up hard wired access points....

I am completely lost on what I'm doing wrong.

Edit: I do have the airport hooked up to wan port not the lan port, I wasn't sure which was which, so I guessed. After checking googled I've confirmed my suspicion.

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

I've had this issue before. When using the auto settings to extend a wireless network always worked great, but I've had issues when extending via a wired network like you are getting.

Reset your new AirPort to factory defaults. Connect it and do not set it up to automatically extend the network. Instead try just set it up as a new network manually.

Under the Internet tab - Connect using DHCP
    Under the wireless tab - Use the same wireless settings as your other AirPort
    Under the Network tab - Router Mode to Off (Bridge Mode)

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Please post some screenshots of your settings in AirPort Utility.