Airport allows 4 computers, no more

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 33Nick, Dec 25, 2011.

1. 33Nick macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm up to my wits with my network here. I have a Clear wireless modem (without the internal WiFi antenna, only the tower to modem antenna) hooked to my Airport Extreme (well beyond 10 feet away). It was a hassle setting up the network wince the annoying Clear modem didn't allow for no DHCP. I couldn't get the Airport to act as the DCHP server. So I created a static IP address network.

It works fine for our iMac, a PowerBook, a MacBook Air and an iPhone but the other iPhone and two iPads won't get on the Internet. I can ping the router and even an external website but can't use browsers on the others.

Any random ideas? Does the Extreme limits it's use to 4 devices?

Thanks, Nicolas

:confused:

2. ancelrick macrumors member

ancelrick

there are basically two parts to this. The WAN connection to your Modem and the LAN configuration.

Your WAN connection should be however Clear wants you to set it up. Normally, Clear should only give you 1 single IP address to the WAN port of the router (Extreme). If set up correctly, Clear sees your entire network as 1 device.

The LAN part is up to you and the Clear modem is not part of it. Most people use DHCP because it's simple to use. AFAIK, There is no reason the Airport would only allow 4 clients to connect if DHCP has a sufficient pool of addresses.

Maybe the clear modem is doing something unusual?? I presume you have an ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN port of the extreme.

"It was a hassle setting up the network wince the annoying Clear modem didn't allow for no DHCP. I couldn't get the Airport to act as the DCHP server. So I created a static IP address network."

this does not make sense.. since the clear modem should only be talking to the WAN port.

3. 33Nick thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the two parts are clear and everything works well with my iMac, Macbook Air, iPhone series 1 and 4S, my wife's Macbook but not her iPhone 4S or neither ones of our iPads. They all have the same settings with different ip addresses.

In the end, I will walk away from Clear as they are slowing down my speed to the point of not being able to use Oovoo (a great Skype alternative). I was even told to watch less Netflix! So much for unlimited. :mad:

I guess it's back to Verizon. If not one monopoly, then another...