AirPort and Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FearTheD, Jun 17, 2014.

1. FearTheD macrumors member

My Apple TV is having issues. I have an airport extreme set up with a separate 5ghz network, and an airport express set up outside my room extending it. My apple tv is connected to the 5ghz network, since I can't stream HD when connecting to the extreme's 2.4. However, the ATV will randomly go back to the home screen while on netflix, or pretty much doing anything else. I'm assuming that it's disconnecting to the network, although when it goes back to the home screen, everything is there (not like where you aren't connected to a network, and none of the apps show up), so it could possibly be something else, but either way it is frustrating. Any suggestions?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try restoring the Apple TV in iTunes on your PC or Mac.

3. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

I did, still happening.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try running Ethernet from the original base station. If that is not possible, run it from the extending AirPort.

5. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

I'll see what I can do. Running an ethernet from the extending airport to the ATV would mean a cable in the middle of my room, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could you relocate the extending AirPort to be more accessible to your Apple TV. I just think that the double relay of packets is causing issues.

7. AppleSnob macrumors newbie

Network Setup

How is the express setup to connect to the extreme?

I had the same issue and had to adjust how my express was "extending" the network from the extreme.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259

If you use the Airport Utility - at a quick glance if there is a solid line from the extreme to the express then you'll want to change it so that it shows a dotted line from one device to the other (called client mode).

Give it a shot and let us know what the outcome is.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Client mode offers no extension of the network but simply makes the second Express a location for AirPlay Speakers and you can plug in an Ethernet cable and use it as a wireless bridge.