Airport and Wireless help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cave12man, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cave12man macrumors member

I am currently running on a G4 Mirrored door mac and use airport to connect. I dont have an internet connection but "borrow" from others who are close enough. A week ago my main connection moved across the street to a new building and i can no longer recieve their connection. My question is is there any way to boost my signal strength so i can pick up other connections that are farther away? I've heard of using a whip antenna, wireless repeater, usb adapter, etc but am not sure which or combo to get for fear of spending the money and not getting what i paid for. A recent post to consumerist.com suggested using a usb wifi adapter with a parabolic cooking strainer to boost your reception strength. While im a little skeptic of the idea im still not sure that even a usb wifi adapter will work with airport or if there is some other configuration i need. Any help or questions would be great. I need my internet!

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If you are "Borrowing" the wifi (wireless connection) then you can't do anything on your end to increase the strength of the wifi signal ..

To increase a wifi signal you need to add a bigger output antenna like 7 dbi or 10 dbi omni-dirctional antenna to the router

3. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

can i do anything to increase the reception strength on my end to possibly connect to a signal that is farther away?

and for the record i actually let the people know that i was borrowing their signal and they were cool with it after we split the bill

4. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

If you're actually sharing (they know, you pay part, etc) and their router is on the far side of their house and you're on your far side of your house, you may be able to put another router as an access point either on the close side of their house or on the close side of yours (depending on how strong the signal is), which from what I understand will extend the range of the signal.

I suppose it all comes down to exactly how far away we're talking here. (3 blocks or next door?):confused:

5. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

they used to be across the street and now have moved across and diagonal to me to another buidling that is bigger so their connection is out of range so i was hoping there was a way to boost my reception power or something of the like with an antenna or other reception point or anything else for that matter

6. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

ive seen things simliar for laptops to increase their reception strength but wasnt sure if there was a way to accomplish this with a desktop