Airport and wireless problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kirstenoel, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kirstenoel macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I have had a browse and can't find a specific solution to my problem.

I have a Macbook Pro which is about 2 and a half years old and I've never had any problems connecting to wifi. I have a network set up at home, running through a Netgear router with Jersey Telecoms (Jersey's answer to BT).

I am using a WEP password. The macbook pro has this location saved and has the network, along with the password saved so it just goes online automatically.

All of a sudden, the macbook pro won't go online at home. I took it to the Apple retailer we have here yesterday and it connected to their wireless fine. Got it home, it won;t connect here.

I've tried turning the router on and off...restarting the mac etc etc

We have a PC running on the same wireless, as well as a macbook 13".

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. The macbook pro knows the network is there, as it finds the name, but then won't connect and says "connection time out"

Any help, ideas much appreciated!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there are a number of things that may be wrong here.

1. IP conflicts. can you check the IP of each computer to ensure that they are not the same? do you know if you have static IP or dynamic IP addressing from your router?

2. are you sure that it connects? does it appear in the menu bar under the airport section?

i would suggest going into System prefs->networks->airport then ->advanced. delete the wireless access point and re-add it into your computer. that might "zap" it.

see how you go and get back to us :)

(p.s. dont use WEP, its not secure)

3. kirstenoel thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I just had a look and its not WEP, it's WPA personal...is that ok?

I did what you said and tried to set up a new network, but now it's saying Airport is turned on but is not connected. It finds the network name and stills says connection timeout. It's very frustrating lol.

Thank you for your help.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup WPA is fine :) much more secure. (WEP can be cracked in a matter of seconds haha)

that is rather frustrating. could you post a screen shot at all (by holding :apple: + Shift + 4 then select the area you want to capture) of the following image? - it is taken from Networks-> advanced in (system prefs.)

Attached Files:

5. kirstenoel thread starter macrumors newbie

The Macbook stopped connecting on Saturday and told me the IP address was in use by another machine, so I'm guessing that's the problem? The Macbook's connected again now, but the macbook pro is still offline.

The first attachment is a screenshot of the MB and the second is of the MBP. The IP address etc in setting on the MBP are all blank now...Any ideas?!

Attached Files:

6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

7. kirstenoel thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried clicking that and it didnt do anything. How do I change the IP address ??

8. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Restart your router and then click on renew dhcp lease once the router is back up and the MBP is connected to the access point.

9. Leocadia macrumors newbie

I'm having the same blank-spaces-where-there-should-be-numbers problems. I just installed a new HD and had to then install OS 10.3 again (vintage!), I thought it might be something to do with that... very confused.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

very vintage! its either that your DHCP server isnt giving out addresses and you must configure manually, or your computer isnt connected to the network and cannot get the DHCP addresses. i would try to configure manually and see how that goes.

11. Leocadia macrumors newbie

Configure manually? How would one do that? Imagine one is a bit of a spaz... In the meantime I'm going upstairs to plug into the router and hit the 'renew' button again. Cheers...

UPDATE: plugged into the router and the 'renew' button still did nothing... :(

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha thats ok ill try explain it easily for ya
    to configure manually, follow these steps :D
    1. open network in system preferences

2. go to airport on the left side, hit "advanced"

3. a new window will open, click the "TCP/IP" tab.

4. you are then presented with the IP configuration window.

4a. "configure IPv4: " make it "Using DHCP with manual address".

4b. you are then presented with the option to choose your IPv4 address. try making it 192.168.1.10. 192.168.1.* is the generic address of each router in the world, i am assuming that you havent changed anything :p

4c. at this point, can you then hit "OK", hit the "Apply" button that is back in Network Prefences, then go back into the TCP/IP page and take a photo of the window (hold :apple: + Shift + 4, then press the spacebar and click on the window of choice to take a picture of). attach that picture to here and that should give us a better indicator of your problem (picture should be on the desktop saved as "picture1").

if it works, you should then have internet :) if not then we must probe further :D

did pluging in directly work?

EDIT: ok so the problem might lie with the configurations of the router. can you please try plugging in again via the cable and going to safari and typing in "192.168.0.1" in the http status bar? that will take you to the router home page, if that doesnt work then there may be a setting problem with the router.

13. Leocadia macrumors newbie

Ok... took screen shot, tis a pdf, photobucket ignores it, have nothing at all installed yet that will change it into a jpg...

it says:

Configure IPv4: using DHCP with manual address
    IP Address: 192.168.1.10
    Subnet mask: (blank)
    Router: (blank)
    DNS Servers: (blank)
    Search domains: (blank)
    IPv6 Address: (blank)

I don't think it can be ther router if the computer I'm on at the moment is connecting to it ok... or can it?

EDIT: I tried it, but I got a pop up window saying 'To view this page, you need to log in to area "BSkyB DG934G" on 192.168.0.1.' I tried the network name and password but it didn't work. SO SO confused.

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true. is your computer that has an internet connection connected via wireless or wired? if its a PC, go to Command Prompt (go start->run and type "cmd" then hit ok), once in command prompt type "ipconfig" and hit enter. that will give the configuration of the computer. if its a mac, follow my previous steps in the last post i gave to give the information.

15. Leocadia macrumors newbie

Typed all those numbers in, still no joy. Am thinking about giving up. Or crying.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you only need the "DHCP Server", "router" and "subnet mask" from the other computer that is working. do not set the IP address to the same as the working computer otherwise that will cause conflicts.

configure the whole thing manually and punch in those three settings above, then make the IP address something random like 192.168.0.34.

17. Leocadia macrumors newbie

It's a PC, and I have:

connection-specific DNS suffix: (blank)
    IP add: blah blah
    Subnet mask: blah
    Default gateway: blah

I imagine the gateway is the router?

I've changed the IP to .99

And it's still not working. As soon as NCIS is over i'm going to bed. But thank you, you've been super helpful and patient and awesome. I'll be back tomorrow!

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

gateway = router address yes.

if you plug subnet mask, default gateway and the DNS server into the mac side of things then you should be able to pick up an IP address using DHCP, if not then you should be able to manually choose the IP address.

can you please verify the IP address of your PC - is it 192.168.1.*, or is it 192.168.0.* (there is a significant difference). please ensure that the correct numbers are applied.

i love NCIS :D

i hate when problems cannot be solved, im sure its something very simple - i know how annoying it is to try and solve when you are doing it by yourself. ill be around when you need the help :)

sleep well.

19. Leocadia macrumors newbie

I'll have a squiz at it when I get home, re 0/1. Cheers.

RE: NCIS, it was the one where Ducky gets stabbed. I don't like the new title font. The LA one is a wee bit trashy but fun, better than CSI:Horatio.

PS Would you still be this helpful if I mentioned I was a kiwi?

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome let us know how it goes

cant say i have seen that one!! i shall have to buy all the seasons :p

sadly yes. ;) im a helpful kind of person

21. Leocadia macrumors newbie

it's a 0.

it's trying to tell me the password is invalid. NOT POSSIBLE. WTF.

i'm hungry.

22. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm how odd. there must be a wrong password there somewhere. at least its recognising where you are lol!

im hungry too.. time to have brekky!

23. Leocadia macrumors newbie

There's only one password. I've pretended I'm stupid and typed it out 500 times and checked and checked it... it's not wrong. new question.

I hooked up my boyfriend's laptop to my home network on Friday last week, it asked me to create a password. I assumed it was just for his computer. If it isn't, and I've somhow changed the password for our router, why are everybody else's computers still connecting? None of them have had to re-type the usual password, it's in their keychain, or the 'new' password, which they don't know... would the network allow them in because they're 'known' even though they don't have the 'new' password? Is that possible?

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there is no way you could have changed the password for the router unless you were in the routers web-interface page, and it would NEVER ask you to change the password - you only change it manually.

MAC detection just poped into my head, but i doubt that is happening here (again you must manually turn on this feature) - it will only allow access of pre-authenticated devices have access to the network, even if they know the password. the MAC address is an individual keycode present on each computer, like a credit card number is to a person. but i doubt this would be happening, but anything is possible.

going back to post 13 (where you edited): is that router your actual router? are you sure it isnt a neighbours? they might have the same type as you (especially if the ISP hands them out). just double check that.

25. Leocadia macrumors newbie

It's definitely our router, promise. Still no luck. The airport interface looks different than it did before my old HD died... are there driver updates for the airport card specifically?