airport and xbox live

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nunes013, Oct 10, 2010.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

so im in college and dont like the schools wireless connection (slow sometimes) so i brought my airport and extreme and express up. my extreme is in my room and the express is in the living suit. the express is just extending the extremes connection. I have my xbox connected through the express. xbox live is kind of sluggish sometimes but most of it is because the school has a heavy duty firewall. its not too bad sometimes but others is unbearable. is there a way to port forward to help this. i wish i could do a direct connection to an ethernet port rather than the router but the port is down my living suits hallway and i would need a 50 foot ethernet cable.

EDIT: live uses these ports, i just need to know how to do it in airport utility
    • TCP 80
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074
    • UDP 53
    • TCP 53

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

In my experience the problem lies with the university internet connection and firewall set up. I would put in a call to your university computer help desk or tech team. They should be able to talk you through their specific settings. I'm sure you aren't the first person to attempt something like this. My guess is if you can get it to work hardwired on ethernet you should then be able to add in the new connections via extreme, then express and it should work fine. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

well hardwired it is still lags but not as bad. i think your right in that its there firewall. its the connection bc i get 17 Mbps connection here. the lowest is around 6 Mbps. Im gonna call but i think people have tried before and they have no luck. thanks for the advice!!!