Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scanton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Is it possible to have two (or more) external HDs connected through a USB hub to Airport Extreme and to use one for storage and one for back up?. I know it is possible to have more than one HD connected with airport to use as storage, but the question is wether is possible to back up those external HD use for storage to another external HD to be used only for back ups. If I want to free space in my MAC internal HD, for instance transferring my Iphoto or Itunes library to an external HD connected to Airport, I also want to make sure that those files will automatically be copied using TM. Ideas? MAC support's answers are only that they don't provide support for that. Many, many thanks.

PcBgone

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
I have a Time Capsule with 5 Drives plugged up Via USB Hub. I can point Time machine to anyone of the drives and have it backup to that certain drive.

However, Time machine will only backup whats on the hardrive on the computer, or externals directly plugged up via usb/firewire to the computer. It will not backup any drives that are plugged up to your airport/time capsule.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
How much crud (printers, hard drives) can you chain off a AEBS or Time Capsule before it can't keep up with it?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
How much crud (printers, hard drives) can you chain off a AEBS or Time Capsule before it can't keep up with it?

I'm pretty sure USB can do 240 devices daisy-chained to each other, so if Apple followed USB's specs correctly, you'd probably run out of shelf space before AEBS or TC can't keep up with it. Bets are if you call Apple though, that isn't a supported use of it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.