Airport Bars Full, No Internet Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by divebaum, Oct 20, 2009.

1. divebaum macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've searched this issue, but nothing has worked. Network Diagnostics was "unable to fix the issue", as well.

Basically, my wireless network shows up in Airport on both my iMac and my Macbook. Full bars. But the internet doesn't work. Never connects.

I have reset and restarted the Netgear router repeatedly. It seems to be working perfectly.

The DSL modem is from Comcast.

Has anyone run into this issue and been able to solve? I'm sure its something simple that I'm missing.

Thank you.

2. stevemiller macrumors 65816

are you on snow leopard? since i installed 10.6 it does this on a regular basis. for me, its nothing to do with the router as all my other devices work fine. i either have to turn the computer's wifi off and back on, or log out and back in. i've seen some other posts on the forum saying that switching from wep to wpa on your router fixes it, however i was on wpa all along when it was happening.

3. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. Just off the phone with Apple. Since the ethernet and the Airport both aren't working, despite the full connection to the router ( this is different, he explained, that meaning a full internet connection ) the issue is most likely with the Modem itself. Makes sense since neither the laptop nor the iMac were working, and the router seems to be doing fine.

Can't wait to call Comcast...

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

ahh yeah your issue definitely sounds different from the snow leopard wifi bug. (which by the way just killed my connection again now, its really awful)

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

There's something wrong between your router and modem and/or with the router itself. It's broadcasting a signal, hence the bars. But the bars have nothing to do with network connectivity, only router connectivity.

I'd check all your wiring, and unplug/replug everything.

That's why it's happening to both your computers.

6. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. that's what Im learning. Of note, when the modem is plugged directly into the iMac, no router in the chain whatsoever, it still doesn't work.

So, its gotta be a modem issue, no?

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Have you made any changes to your setup?

Is the router reporting an IP from your modem? You may simply need to do a release/renew on the router.

You can access some modems, when I had DSL, Verizon didn't really lock down the modem much.

For cable modems, the address is 192.168.100.1. Try that out and see what you can find out.

8. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

With the modem plugged directly into the imac, no router, I was able to access 192.168.100.1. What would I be looking for there?

9. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

10. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

What model is the Netgear?/firmware... tried changing to b/g mode? or changing channels.

11. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Read the post, we're past the router. I'd call up comcast and tell them that with your computer plugged right into the modem, you are not getting internet. They can send out a signal to refresh your ip and maybe fix something. Otherwise you may have a faulty modem, which they should replace for free.

Good Luck!

12. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Well I wasn't aware Netgear made standalone modems for DSL/Cable. I just assumed router = all in one. Like how 99% all are.

13. divebaum thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I should have made this more clear. I have some generic Comcast modem and a wireless router from Netgear.

Anyway, Comcast reset the modem, which seemed to work. Now, when the ethernet is connected directly from Comcast modem to iMac, I can get to the internet.

I havent tried yet to set up the wireless network again. Thanks for all the help.

14. Aniday macrumors regular

Same problem happened to me. Reset your DNS servers on both devices.