Airport Base Station + Disk

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by semaja2, Jun 17, 2007.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

I just recently got the ABE and my first impressions were good, until now....

This is absolutely horrible at use with disks, i have 2 harddrives connected to the ABE along with a printer on a small USB hub.

When ever i connect to the ABE and access the disks im able to view videos and such fine aslong as i dont copy the file to my iMac, as soon as i try to copy finder basically just sits there and never copies the file its that slow.

I have tried using both cable and wireless with no luck. I have used the same setup but hooking directly to my iMac and it worked great, so why so bad on the ABE?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

USB is a processor-intensive thing, and the router has a tiny processor so it takes forever. In addition, wireless is pretty slow and you usually only get speeds of less than 5 megabytes per second. All of this adds up to it being pretty slow.

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is not just slow, its UNBEARABLE, if apple was intending to sell such a product then they are idiots, ive used NAS before and they are not 0.1mbps EVER

4. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I had to return my AEX because the airdisk was, well, it sucked -- at least for multiple large (multi-GB) files and thousands of files (during rsync backup).

I didn't see "unbearable" speeds as you are describing though, so maybe you got a bad unit. Mine would just lock-up and require a hard power cycle when the disks and wireless network disappeared as it entered some kind of Xtreme never-never-land.

Are you running the 7.1.1 firmware, which supposedly fixes airdisk issues? If not, try upgrading it and please report back if it fixed anything.

Mike

5. superted666 Guest

superted666

works fine on mine, two 400gb disks connected, i transfer files between macbook and airport at 3.5mpbs easily (was hoping faster but its not that slow)

I am running in n mode at 5ghz though, which speed are you connected at?

6. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive worked it out, and i cant believe i didnt think of it earlier... its seems my USB hub doesnt like the ABE, but my iMac does :S

7. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502