Airport Base Station N-only help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alphaod, Jun 20, 2008.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have problems with my network being dropped to G-speeds because for some mysterious reason it thinks their are G devices present; is there a way I can get the Airport Extreme/Express Base Station to allow N-only devices? At the moment the only option I see is n with b/g.

I'd call Apple, but it's too late for that now.

Thanks folks.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

In AirPort Utility, under the AirPort > Wireless tab, mine has 802.11n only (5 GHz) and 802.11n only (2.4 GHz) available in the Radio Mode drop down menu. You mean yours doesn't? Try holding down option and clicking the drop down menu. Mine shows more options when I do that, so maybe yours will too?

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Airport Utility->manual mode->AirPort icon->wireless tab->radio mode combo box

Here you have 2 choices: 802.11n only (2.4GHz) or 802.11n only (5GHz)

4. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay, I noticed that if I turn off WDS it allows me to choose N-only; this is quite unfortunate, since I like WDS.

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

You know, I think that explains the mysterious G speeds. I read somewhere that the WDS setting only works with G. Try disabling WDS, connect an N device (and nothing else) and see if you're getting G speeds. If so, then there's something messed with your base station. But if not, it's the WDS that's making it slower.

7. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I'm heading off the to Apple Store today to have them check it out. I also have issues where the entire wireless network drops in reception and speed at night; drives me nuts; I know it's not the modem, because I can get full speeds connected via Ethernet. Some the location profile doesn't change by the itself (I use a HSUPA modem) and then the computer locks up because the SystemUI stops responding.

8. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

I wanted to update everyone on the situation: They found my Airport Express was acting funky; when they plugged it into the the network, it shut down the entire wireless and wired network at the Apple Store... it wasn't fun at all (for them, but it was amusing to me); they just replaced my Airport Express and everything is good now. No more slow downs, nothing.