Airport base station n-router speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ninjapenguinart, Feb 15, 2009.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

Hello,

I usually got 130mbps with my n-router in terms of speed from my iMac to my router, but now for some reason I am only getting 13mbps. I have changed my multicast rate from 2 - 11 mbps and no change. Any ideas on what could have done this?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You could try changing the channel of the AirPort base station to eliminate any chances of wireless interference, but what may help the most is just power cycling the base station and the cable/dsl modem its connected to.

3. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

It's not the internet connection. It is the connection from the computer to the router not the computer to the internet. As in the maximum I can achieve from reading off of someone's computer on the same network is 13mbps instead of 130 like I should be getting. I have fiddled with the multicast rate the interference robustness.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

any chance a B/G device joined the network? try disconnecting that and see if your speeds come back up.

are you in the same location? walls tend to kill a N signal very quickly, so if you moved to a different room in the house, with more walls between you, you will slow down.

5. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

There are 2 - 3 g units connected to it. How much does that affect the connection?

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the base station detects that even one g-network device is connected, it will automatically drop the speed down to g.

7. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

Well then that would put me down to 54, but shouldn't go down as low as 5.5.

8. vorkorsigan macrumors member

Not sure about the 'dropping to 54' when n & g machines are both connected? I had a AEBS running n in g compatibility mode and had the g at 54 and the n at 270, no issues. Since then as the two machines are a MBP & a Viao SZ which can run at 5ghz I have changed to 'a' compatibility and they are still connected at the same speed.

9. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Can I jump in and add a topic?

You are discussing something similar to my dilemma.

I have an Extreme/N and have two MacBooks running "N", one iBook running "G" and a PC with a Belkin G card in it.

One corner of the house is a dead zone and i am thinking of getting one of the smaller Airport Express units to extend the network. The slave unit would be about 30 feet from the Extreme, in another room which would be on the floor below the deadzone.

Are there any issues I need to be concerned with in this set-up?