Airport Base Station: Worth it, or better alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NickD, Jul 8, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I badly need to upgrade my Linksys Wireless G router, and have been looking at many different possibilities, naturally including the Airport Base Station.

I need something compatible with wireless N, and while I've heard amazing things about the Airport Base Station, it is on the pricey side, and I'm trying to see if it would be worth the extra cash.

Are there other Wireless N compatible alternatives that are equally good in comparison to the Airport, or would the Airport still be the best choice in spite of the cost?

NickD

2. damienvfx macrumors regular

damienvfx

I had a little bit of a problem with mine at first, but I was new to wireless networking. Now I love it and have no problems. My roommate has a Vaio that supposedly has N ability, but he can't see the network since I switched it to 5 ghz. I can stream 40 MB a second now from the harddrives I have networked off of the AEBS. I'd say go for it.

Also, when you get your new router, make sure to keep using your old one so that you can get a/b/g/n coverage. You may end up with an iPhone and wish you had coverage :)

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I really like the AirPorts. Now that they are no longer $250 I'd say it's worth it. I really like them. I also have a few computers without wireless and an Ethernet back up hard drive that I can hook into the 3 Ethernet ports.