AirPort Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by R1Dragon, Jan 12, 2009.

1. R1Dragon macrumors newbie

Hello Great Sages:

My friend gave me a “Air port Base Station" (Family No.M5757) without any software. I have attempted to connect it to my DSL and it was not successful :eek:. It looks like a Martian spaceship and has three inputs: a power input, a phone terminal, and an Ethernet terminal. My DSL modem has the same amount and type of terminals. I would like to know if it is possible to get it operational at a reasonable cost and what exactly needs to be done. Ideally, I would like to keep my desktop connected and use the airport for my new Mac Book. As always, I am thankful for those that share their time and effort to help solve my concerns. Thanks :D

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I am unsure how or where to find it without buying another airport, but the Airport base stations usually have an application called "Airport Utility". It runs on the mac, connects to the Airport and allows you to configure it.

You need to get that software somehow

edit:
    try apple support downloads page

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If the computer wasn't made before airport was (or OS), than check your Utilities folder for it the Airport Utility.

Otherwise, you should be able to manually download an Airport update directly from Apple that is compatible with that older model, and if it won't let you install it (nothing installed to "update"), you should be able to manually do it by way of right-clicking, Show Package Contents, find the app (or the direct package of it), and drag and drop that to your hard drive bypassing the original installer checks.

That's what I did for mine, but it was a few years ago so I don't remember it 100%.