Resolved Airport/bluetooth card preventing Powerbook g4 boot.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Xandros, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Xandros, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016

Xandros macrumors regular

Edit: Never mind. Decided to say **** it and peel off the plastic wrapped around the airport card as I found a cheap replacement so didn't need it anymore. Looks like there's some damage to the lines on the PCB coming off the connector. Presumably the damn thing shorted... Somewhat catastrophically it would appear as it blew a hole through the broadcom chip (well not literally but there's a scorch mark on the plastic bit that was covering the chip and I can see what appears to be a scorch mark on the chip itself).

---Original post---
    I have a PB G4 DSLD (15") that I've been doing some repairs to it recently so it's been in pieces. Long story short, I put it back together and it worked fine, but I'd forgotten something so I had to take it apart again (only a few bits). The second time I put it together it refused to boot. Power light came on, fans would power up but there'd be no chime. After trial an error I discovered it was when the bluetooth/airport card (henceforth referred to just as the airport card) was plugged in that the system refuses to boot.

(rest of post now irrelevant so I've deleted it)

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Had some modems do the same thing. I would suspect heat with correct pressure over time caused an arc and done deal.