Airport buying advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matuerk, Aug 30, 2012.

1. matuerk macrumors newbie

I live in a 3-story house.

Here's the current setup:

Cable modem to Airport Extreme Base Station, with two different Airport Express units connected to powered speakers and acting as Airplay devices. One of those AE units is plugged in right next to the AEBS.

I'd like to bring music to another floor of the house, but I'll need to purchase another Airplay device (right?).

Here's the question: if the new AE can act as a router, does it make sense to purchase that and replace the existing AEBS, then liberating the old AE to move to another floor?

Or should I maintain the AEBS and use the new AE on the other floor as an Airplay device.

Or is there another alternative. Any advice would be massively appreciated.

/m

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

there are plenty of other airplay receivers, it all depends on your needs and budget.

I have a denon avr-1912 A/V receiver, there are other manufacturers that also make receivers that are airplay compatible.

there are also several speaker units with airplay built in, I also have an iW2 it's got pretty good sound, but if you're into thumping bass, it's not for you.

if you've already got your own speakers and amp, then a refurb airport express might be what you need ($70 for the old style)

check out airplayspeakers.com/