Airport can't connect and Lock is open in preferences

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bupkiss, Jul 24, 2009.

1. bupkiss macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie to MAC and have a strange problem. On my Macbook, out of the blue, I suddenly can't connect to wifi.

When I go to SYSTEM PREFERENCES-NETWORK, lo and behold the lock is UNlocked which is supposed to "prevent further changes" (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?).

No network is selected under NETWORK name and when I go to ADVANCED I place a check next to my router name but it times out and I can't connect or re-lock. I can try for 10 minutes to reconnect but even after 2-3 reboots nothing happens. If I wait a while it seems to fix itself but the lock is still unlocked.

I have a BELKIN N router. though the neighbors have 3, 2-Wires, and a d-link (could they be interfering?). If so, how to fix?

Any clues as to why/how the LOCK is unlocked? I thought this was a SECURITY feature.
    Why is this happening?
    What can I do to fix it?
    I hate think that my Macbook is being "hacked" and that someone is getting into preferences.

Thanks for any assistance

2. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

the lock will be unlocked by default unless you've gone to the security preference pane and checked off "require password to unlock each system preferences pane"

when you say you suddenly can't connect to wifi does that mean that you were connecting to this network successfully before?

are you having issues connecting to any other wireless networks?

is airport showing you as connected but you are getting a self assigned ip address?

3. bupkiss thread starter macrumors newbie

First, thanks for replying to my query.

Yes, I'm connected to the web via my router, though I may suddenly lose the connection. No matter where I go in the house the signal does not increase.

Having previously LOCKED the lock in Network preferences, I then find it's
    open, without a connection, and when I attempt to reconnect it imply times out without success.

I'm confused by your comment that the lock is unlocked by default. If I lock it, as I do once I successfully establish a connection, why does it automatically unlock at a later date?

Unfortunately, I can't respond to your question about other networks as I use the Macbook in my home.

When I drop down the wifi icon it shows that it's seeking to make a connection without success. If I go into Preferences, it tells me no Network is selected and Inhave a devil of a time re-establishing it even going so far as to retype the password several times without success. Eventually, after rebooting a few times and waiting 10 mnutes I'm generally successful.

I hope this helps you though I dk if I sufficiently answered your questions to me. I really appreciate your comments.