airport card from iBook into iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gvsbdisco, Jul 10, 2008.

1. gvsbdisco macrumors newbie

Hello

I have an old G4 iBook that has bitten the dust after some coffee got spilled on the keyboard. I also have an old iMac G5 that was purchased WITHOUT wireless.

1. Can the iBook airport card be installed into the G5 iMac?

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

That would, depending on the internal layout of the two machines, range from almost impossible to highly impossible.

First of all, the airport card in the ibook may or may not be soldered onto the logic card. Soldered = no.

Then, You'd have to find a port to plug it into in the imac. No port = no.

Next, There would need to be ample room to put the card in without constricting airflow. No room = no.

But, if you could do that, the imac would probably recognize it and you'd be home free. :p:D

Just don't try, unless you're really, really ready.

3. gvsbdisco thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the message.

turns it out it was pretty straightforward. I popped the keyboard off the ibook and the airport extreme card was easily accessible and dead easy to remove. Popped the back off the iMac and there was a slot for the airport extreme card sitting empty. The card fit like a charm and OSX recognized the new hardware. Seems to be working fine.

mike

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

Uh...no iBook G4 had a soldered airport extreme card. No iMac G5 shipped without hookups for one.

Good job, OP.