airport card help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by krossfyter, Jul 7, 2008.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i have an old powerbook 667 that doesnt work anymore and an emac 1ghz that was given to me. (im typing on a macbook). the emac doesnt have an airport card in it. by any chance is it possible to take the airport card from the 667 and put it in the emac? or does the emac require a different card?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thnx for the help wildcowboy. ive gotten all the way to the point of trying to fit the airport card into the emac airport card slot but it wont go. it dont fit. do any of you have a clue as to why this is?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...dunno. I've never tried installing one in an eMac, so all I have to go by are the instructions I linked above. In what way doesn't it fit? Can you take a pic perhaps if that will help illustrate the problem?

5. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i sure can. thnx.

i think the issue is... that it requires an airport extreme card.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, you're right, that model requires the AirPort Extreme card...sorry. :eek:

I even looked it up before I posted, but Apple does a crappy job of differentiating their machines in support documents. That instruction document I linked above just mentions eMacs generically and because it carried a "last updated" date of May 2004, I thought that it applied to your machine. But no, only the very first eMac (700/800 MHz released April 2002) took the original AirPort card. Your revision (800 Mhz/1 GHz released May 2003) moved up to the AirPort Extreme card.