Airport card recognized but no reception...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by catzilla, Aug 7, 2014.

1. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I tried it in 3 different machines, all show it installed but no available networks. A different card works fine in each. I guess it's toast. Any ideas? Could it be a firmware issue?

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Odd, make sure the antenna port is clean along with the contact pins. I don't think there is any firmware publicly accessible to end users on AirPort cards.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you by chance ever get it to connect before?

4. catzilla thread starter macrumors 6502

catzilla

It was originally in a Cube I bought a few years ago, IIRC it did work at one time. I moved the Cube to an ethernet connection because it would no longer connect. I thought it was in a dead spot.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Only reason why I asked is because I had an interesting occurrence with these AirPort cards in two different iBook G3s. I had a Linksys router running DD-WRT and every couple of boots the iBook would connect for 30 seconds and drop and not work after that. I thought it was a bad card but it happened on my other G3 too! Then I realized it was a problem with the router and that unplugging the router caused the card to be completely reliable!

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I remember one - the 802.11n enabler that Apple charged us for the privilege of being able to use the Airport cards we had already bought.

Avoid Belkin routers and Ralink wifi cards. Bags of hurt with OSX.