Airport cards: Bcm94321mc vs AR5BXB6

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JephB, Apr 5, 2011.

1. JephB macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm gutting my 2008 MBP 2.4GHZ (dead logic board) to spruce up a 2007 MBP 2.16ghz I bought (newest my budget allowed). I've noticed the airport signal isn't as strong on the older 2.16ghz unit, it has the ar5bxb6 card. Should I swap the older card for my bcm94321mc? will the older unit support that? will I need new drivers?
    1st time cracking a case (which is why I'm not just swapping logic boards. )

thx for any advice. :)
    OSX 10.5.8

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Depending on why the logic board died, I would bake it to reflow the solder. Since you are gutting it anyway, you have nothing to lose. Just Google it, but is a way to possibly bring a dead logic board back to life.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

iFixit.com lists both cards as being compatible with the same range of Macbooks and Macbook Pro's. So yes it will work and Mac OS X already has the driver's needed. Unless you went to /System/Library/Extensions and removed the Broadcom kexts:rolleyes:.

+1 Might as well give it a shot.

4. JephB thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx a bunch guys, hoping to get a lil mo speed and distance with the bcm card. Once that works, maybe I'll be brave enuff to try the oven of DOOM. LOL

><
    btw, I'm also switching out the ram, HDD, and toplid (better track pad).... anything else I should/could switch out to make the 2007 more like the 2008? :)