Airport Card's Mac Address won't change

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Legendary, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Legendary macrumors newbie

My airport cards mac address won't change does anyone have any ideas on why this might be or how i can fix it. I have tried all the possible terminal commands and for some reason it will allow my ethernet's mac address to be changed to a airport (wireless card) mac address .

i am opening terminal and trying to change the address using the command "sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr 00:1e:c2:b6:97:4e" and then typing "ifconfig en1 | grep ether" once i press enter it results in "ether 00:23:12:56:4c:bf" when it should be "ether 00:1e:c2:b6:97:4e". My wireless is working perfectly, but no matter how many different sets of commands i try nothing changes is it broken or is there a way i can fix this.

my HD and Logic board breaking and my Macbook was replaced 2 days ago i did it everyday. Now it won't work. :'(

2. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Are you sure it can be changed? I always through you couldn't change it.

3. Legendary thread starter macrumors newbie

I did on my old one and it will let me change the ethernet just not the airport

4. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ignore that. It doesn't do anything other than run ifconfig. If you can't get ifconfig working, a GUI shell isn't going to help.

To the OP:

First, be warned that MAC address spoofing is known to either break or no longer work the same way when Apple releases system updates. 10.5.5 and (IIRC) 10.5.4 both changed the procedure for spoofing your MAC address.

On my MacBook4,1 running 10.5.6:

The following will return with no error (provided that Airport is on), but will not change the address.

Code:
    sudo ifconfig en1 lladdr 00:00:DD:C0:FF:EE

The following will return with no error (provided that Airport is on), but will only change the address if not associated with an access point:

Code:
    sudo ifconfig en1 ether 00:00:DD:C0:FF:EE

There are a whole bunch more subtleties, but that should work for you. The whole MAC spoofing thing is a mess on OS X anyways. Different combinations of hardware and versions of OS X mean that the procedure is likely to differ from machine to machine -- so once you figure out how to do it, try to remember it ;-)

6. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Yeah I know, I'm a developer so I did trouble shooting and tried both enther and lladdr. But it didn't work! I think that his airport isn't accepting it. One thing I can try for him, but unsure if it'll work, is run ifconfig at start up to see if it works when it first starts.

7. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

Some reason it finally worked when he got to school. So I'm just saying he doesn't need help anymore as far as I know.

8. Legendary thread starter macrumors newbie

ITs very weird it only works once i have connected to a network that requires it to be changed.

9. raremage macrumors 6502a

Um, sorry, but why does the network require you to spoof your MAC address?

Or are you spoofing to bypass someone's mac restrictions on their network?

Just curious, if there's a "legitimate" reason versus a "less legitimate" reason.

10. GRMrGecko macrumors member

GRMrGecko

The only reason he wanted to spoof it is so he could use his mac at school instead of the pcs that are there.