Airport configuration for distance and speed questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fkntotalkaos, Jul 22, 2010.

1. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

I am using an airport express to go wireless with business class comcast. I get D/L speeds close to 150 Mbps when I am close.. same room, but when I travel away from router my speed drops to .5 Mbps.

My signal was 3/4 bars on airport meter where i need to use internet. I added a second Airport express using the extend a network option
    My upload is much faster than d/l and my speed is horrible. Do I need to use and airport extreme instead of express?

Radio mode is set at 2.4n GHz works, but 5 GHz only signal gets lost as expected. So anyone reading this 2.4 GHz for range and 5 GHz for same room speed (For best range you would want to configure the 2.4 GHz radio to operate in the 802.11n only mode)
    Multicast is now set at 24Mbps

Attached Files:

2. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

3. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

4. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Download istumbler and see what other networks are around and what channels they are on, there could be channel interference. Then try changing to different channels since you've got it set to automatic.

5. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

stumbler report

Attached Files:

6. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBook Pro in same room where airport express #2 is usually plugged in ( I unplug Airport Express #2 and got this result running off of Airport Express #1)

So why is Airport Express #2 slowing down my WiFi so much almost making it unusable? Do I have a broken Express?

ok after trial and error and research, #1 is the bottle neck. lesson, wireless sucks over long distance, run Cat 5 if possible

Attached Files:

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

After reading this thread I downloaded iStubler (99) out of curiosity. However I don't get any WiFi/AirPort listing in the left box. My first is Bluetooth. What am I missing?