Airport connect to internet via iPhone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tobebryant, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tobebryant macrumors newbie

Hi all,

as I do not have LAN access - is there a possibility to use my iphone to make a connection for my airport express time capsule? Could the time capsule access the internet via my iphone?

Thanks to all,
    Tobe

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Potentially. You would need to have the Express join the iPhone and connect via its Ethernet port to the Time Capsule.

3. tobebryant thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm and how could I do that? I have literally no idea...

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Question: Do you have a Time Capsule or an AirPort Express - or both? Your post wasn't clear on that.

If you want to use your iPhone as the internet source for your router(s), what you'd do is this:
    Create a Wi-Fi Hotspot on your iPhone, go to AirPort Utility on your Mac and set your Time Capsule or AirPort Express to "Join a wireless network", selecting your iPhone hotspot as the network to join.

Then if you need to connect your second router, connect them via Ethernet, using a normal Ethernet port on the router that has joined the iPhone network, and the WAN port on the other. Or set the second router to also join the Wi-Fi network (which won't require an Ethernet cable) (or possibly "Extend", though I don't know if that will work).

This all seems like a rather complicated idea, though. Are you using your iPhone's 4G/3G as your primary internet connection?

Attached Files:

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Express would have to join, not the Time Capsule as when a Extreme or TC is in join mode the Ethernet ports are disabled.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Wasn't aware of that. Good to know.