Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chillufl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
I am trying to set up an Airport Extreme base station to connect wirelessly to the Internet. I was using a Linksys router but my G-5 signal kept dropping out, though my Powerbook never seemed to have issues. Problem is that neither my Powerbook or my G-5 desktop can connect via the base station. I have tried going through all of the diagnostic tests, which revealed that the base station's signal was strong. Unfortunately, I could not connect to the Internet. Any suggestions?

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
I am trying to set up an Airport Extreme base station to connect wirelessly to the Internet. I was using a Linksys router but my G-5 signal kept dropping out, though my Powerbook never seemed to have issues. Problem is that neither my Powerbook or my G-5 desktop can connect via the base station. I have tried going through all of the diagnostic tests, which revealed that the base station's signal was strong. Unfortunately, I could not connect to the Internet. Any suggestions?

what speed are your devices? a/b/g or n?

im not sure if the Powerbook or G5 have N speeds you may need to change the settings on your basestation to reflect that.
Open AirPort utility > Select your basestation > manual set up > AirPort tab at the top > Radio Mode > make sure it is b/g compatible

also if that might not work, try disabling the airport on each machine then reconnecting to your newly created Extreme network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.