Airport connection keeps dropping...problem with skype?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krisptoria, Apr 12, 2007.

1. krisptoria macrumors newbie

I have had no problems with airport until about 2 days ago. I came home from work and Mail was asking me for my password. Now I keep losing my connection while in safari and firefox, especially if I leave the Macbook idle. Also, connection seems really slow.

I did download skype about 2 days ago...wondering if this is causing the problem somehow. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have dumped skype for now but the airport connection still seems slow.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try creating a new user account in System Preferences and see if the problem carries over to that account. If it doesn't then the problem is almost certainly in your Home folder on the original account. :)

3. LastZion macrumors 6502a

We have 3 macs on a wireless router (g) and everytime one of us goes on Skype it KILLS the airport connection for the others. Seems like its the same problem. Anyone have any idea how we could fix this?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Dunno if it is the same problem, but there are a few reasons Skype can kill a connection, most of which relate to NAT. What brand of router do you have? Is there a setting on your router for PC-to-phone apps, under an Access or Special Apps menu? If so, enable this setting.

5. LastZion macrumors 6502a

I have a DLINK DI-524 router.

There is this setting
    PC-to-Phone 12053 12120,12122,24150-24220
    I will enable it and see what that does.

Thank you

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. LastZion macrumors 6502a