Airport connection speed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Graeme43, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Hey guys

When I first got my Airport Extreme it came with version 7.2 and I set it up so that I got 300mbit/s rated speed from my MacBook and my Mac Pro was getting 270mbit/s according to network utility. Over the last year or whatever some update has came out and it got capped at 130 and I couldn't figure out what was causing it :confused:

First I thought it was 10.7 and I was going to install 10.6 to see if that was the problem but I thought before I did that I would revert the version of AP software down a few and somehow that solved the problem :confused: Something in the update has slowed my wireless connection down and maybe it had something to do with the wide channel network

Anyone else experienced this? Ta :D

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have not experienced that issue. I have the latest version installed and am running without issue (and my MBP reports 450 throughput speeds when sitting in my office, which is where the AE resides).

Are you utilizing auto-channel selection, as this may be causing your issues if it is selecting the less than optimum connection or one that is crowded (I have no idea how the algorithm determines optimum channel selection and set my own manually based upon my site survey).

3. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

It set on auto channel and is using 44 which seems to be working fine with 7.2

4. ddboy macrumors newbie

Anyone else have issues with upgrading Extreme firmware?

5. Redsand187 macrumors member

I'm interested in something similar.

I've got 100mbps cable line. It works great wired. But the best speeds I can get wirelessly are around or below 30mbps, even with the base station 3 feet away. I also have an express for an extender, get full strength everywhere I need it. The utility shows link speed to 300mbps. There shouldn't be anything slowing it down as far as I understand. :confused: