Airport connection to Mac is spotty, though laptop fine

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rojo, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I have an Airport Extreme at home that's set up with a wireless network. My G4 iBook and the two iPhones in this house (one 2G, one 3G) all connect to this network beautifully, and fast. However, my G5 PowerPC's connection is really spotty. It drops its connection to my Airport's wireless network quite often, and when it IS connected it's usually very weak. Browsing the internet or doing anything that needs an internet connection has become a really frustrating experience on my G5.

So is this a computer problem, an Airport Card problem, or what? I want to find out what the deal is and fix it ASAP, but don't really know what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    The G5 machine is going have the older wireless protocol and that is one problem. The wireless setup is going to run only as fast as the slowest device. Also, if you are living in a multi-family-dwelling situation such as a condominium or rental apartment building, there is the likelihood of interference from other people's wireless networks. That is what I ran into and finally I was able to resolve it by setting up an Airport Express in addition to my Airport Extreme in order to extend and strengthen my network. No more connectivity problems!

3. Rojo thread starter macrumors 65816

Rojo

I actually had an Express, and did just that! But alas...it didn't help the G5 much. I do live in an apartment building, but again, the iBook and iPhones all run well (and fast!) with my Airport Extreme, so it's not that my wireless network is having a performance issue in general -- it's just the G5 that's having problems. So you think it's more my G5's problem than an Airport card problem?