Airport connectivity goes in and out

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sconnors, Apr 27, 2009.

1. sconnors macrumors newbie

I have the original MacBook from May 2006. For about the past 3 or 4 months I have noticed that my airport connectivity icon goes from full strength to nothing for a few seconds, then back to full strength. Most recently, I have had problems connecting at all. Sometimes it bounces from 1 line to 3 lines to no lines, and won't connect. I know my Internet is fine b/c I can plug in and my computer is the only one having this issue in my home.

Is it time to buy a new airport card or could it be something else? Internet Connect shows it's connected and the correlating signal strength.

Thoughts??

Thanks for your help!

Stacy

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there could possibly be some interference from neighbours with phones running on the same frequency?? is your airport 802.11n or g??

3. sconnors thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it's g (by defaut b/c I didn't know about n - only knew about b and g)

:) Stacy

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ahh i see, its pretty easy to tell just go to spotlight and open up "Network Utility", on the main window choose "Network Interface (en1)" from the dropdown box (this is the wireless interface) and that will give you all the information you need to know.

mine currently says:

Link Speed: 54mbit/s

model: blaablaa (802.11a/b/g) meaning it supports all of those modes.

:)

hope that helps.

i daresay there would be a neighbours 2.4GHz cordless phone that is interfering. there is a setting in "Airport Utility" that is "Use Interference Robustness", making it more stable (i think it checks for errors more or something like that) - that may help you a tad.

5. sconnors thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what mine says (in network utility)... I added the "internet robustness" - let's see how it goes :)

Thanks for helping :)

6. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Sconnors - I have the same problems, did you find a cure?

cheers