Airport connects to internet; Safari does not??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bookworm182, May 22, 2007.

1. bookworm182 macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,

Sorry I couldn't come up with a more descriptive title, first of all, but my problem is very strange. So, my mac mini is connected to my home Airport Extreme network, and in System Preferences' Network pane, it says "Airport is connected to the network *****. You are connected to the Internet via Airport." However, when I then go to open up Safari, or connect to iChat, or anything that requires the Internet, I am given the "You are not connected to the Internet" message (in Safari). So, obviously, something is wrong. My computer can't decide if it is or is not connected to the Internet. Please help!! How can I fix this? Thanks!

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I've never done diagnostic work on APE base stations, but you may want to check and make sure Wireless Radio is enabled on the router.

Other than that, i'd probably say it's something with the computer in question being fouled up.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Just because you're connected to a wireless device doesn't mean you're connected to the internet.

Can you give us an idea of your network topology? Is the Airport Extreme the only router you have (wired or otherwise)? Do you use DSL/Cable? Is the DSL/Cable modem plugged directly into the Airport Extreme?

Does it work if you plug the DSL/Cabel modem directly into your Mac?

Answers to these questions would be hugely helpful for diagnosing (and fixing) your problem.

4. bookworm182 thread starter macrumors newbie

network setup

Hi again! Thanks for replying guys. Here's my network setup:

I have an Airport Extreme (802.11g) connected to a (wired) Linksys ethernet hub, which is connected to my DSL modem. The Airport Extreme is set up as a WDS main base station; I also have two Airport Expresses. One is set up as a relay base station, the other as a remote base station. I know that because I am connected to the Airport it doesn't necessarily mean I am connected to the Internet, but like I said, the System Preferences does say I am connected to the Internet, and all other computers in my house (Powerbook 12" and 15") connect just fine over Airport (as usual). Also, when I connect the mini to the Linksys hub via ethernet, it connects to the Internet just fine. The PC connected to the hub via ethernet also connects OK.

I hope that gives you a more complete picture of my setup (and helps to figure out the problem!) Thanks again!

5. bookworm182 thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Hi guys,

Another update, if it helps: the mac mini, when attempting to browse the web in Safari, receives web address redirects (i.e., www.ipod.com redirects to www.apple.com/ipod), which I assume it must be online to receive?? But it does not load any contents of the web pages. :confused: I am thoroughly confused. If anyone has any idea what might be going on, please help!! Thanks!