Airport connects to router, but not to internet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by topher-j, Apr 30, 2007.

1. topher-j macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MacBookPro 15" C2D. I applied an update to Airport recently via the apple menu: Software Update, and since then I'm having trouble connecting to the internet through my wireless router (D-Link). I can see the network, and I can connect to it, but no internet capabilities. Under System Preferences : Network it says:

AirPort is connected to the network "xxx". AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet.

Under the TCP/IP settings for the AirPort it obtains an IP address through DHCP of 169.254.129.46 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I've read that if it gets an IP address of 169.254.x.x it means it couldn't connect to the router (or something like that, I'm not an expert at this).

I try manually setting the IP address, but that doesn't work either. The airport status changes to:

AirPort is connected to the network "xxx". You are connected to the Internet via AirPort.

but I still can't get to any Internet sites. I try turning off my firewall. That doesn't help.

Periodically it will be able to get a valid IP address using DHCP, but I can't consistently do this, and it's very frustrating.

I've looked online for help, and haven't found anything useful. Does anyone here have any ideas on how to fix this? Or is there a way to revert to the previous AirPort software version

2. netguy macrumors newbie

As you suspected, you are going to get no-where with a 169. address.

When you assigned a static IP address, did you put in a DNS address?

Have you hard plugged into the router, to see if the router is passing internet traffic?

Were you able to get internet wirelessly, before you did the software update?

3. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

yes, 169.254.xxx.xxx addresses means the your mac is not getting any ip from your router, it seems many have trouble after this update with d-link routers. you could check if there's any firmware update for your router.

4. CavesOfTQLT macrumors newbie

Yep, that's the issue with my DI624 D-Link. A wireless connection still exists to my network because I can gain access to my NAS device, but the internet connection drops out completely. The only way I've found to get it all working again is to pull the plug on the router, wait 10secs, then plug back in. Then it's a matter of time before it goes again...

5. Bake151 macrumors newbie

There seems to be a ton of problems with D-Link routers. When I updated the firmware for mine (DI-624) it made problems worse. Now it disconnects from the net about every 3 or 4 minutes. Mine is less than 30 days old so I'll be sending it back tomorrow. I won't buy another D-Link.

Here is my thread regarding my router... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=299590

6. lennyla9 macrumors newbie

I had this exact problem which after a couple of calls to AppleCare I was able to resolve. It's a bit of a pain so I'd only do it if you've exhausted all of your options.

The AppleCare guy told me todo a 'Carbon' install of OSX. This replaces your current operating system files with the ones on the disc. The only wierd thing was the installation didn't referr to it as a Carbon install, but used another term which I've now forgotten.

The install will take a couple of hours but when it's done you'll be back at your desktop with all your files and settings still in place.

I've since re-applied all updates and everything is working fine.

7. topher-j thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem isn't the router. It works with every other computer in my network (PCs, wireless and wired), and if I connect to it with a cable it works.

I did some more research, apparently the Airport 2007-002 update has caused connection problems with a bunch of routers, mostly D-Link. An OS re-install doesn't always help because the error is in the firmware.

Hopefully apple will come out with a fix, or a rollback option soon. This sucks :(

8. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

You could allways try an open linux firmware... but you risk bricking your router if you don't know what you are doing.

9. epiphany macrumors regular

Don't toss the D-link 624

I had the same problem with my 624, but rather than waiting for an Apple fix , I went to MacFixit and used the manual, 3 System/Library file removal fix. Worked perfectly! http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20070427000454126

10. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Im haveing the same problem, my MBP connects to my wireless network then it works for 1 Hour, Then it stays connected to the wireless network but no internet. after. Then after 1 Hour It dosent even connect to the wireless. The Base station is an HP. What should i do?

11. topher-j thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I've seen this link before, except you need a subscription so I can't read the contents :(

12. wini shek macrumors newbie

help help help

hey, i'm new to mac and experiencing the same problem. I would appreciate any advice. it's not connecting and says "self assigned ip address" and begins with 169.....etc.

i've tried everything that i could the only thing i can think of to do is reboot again......but i really don't want to unless i have to cause i just done it about a week ago and it's gonna be a bit irritating if i have 2 do it every time it has this problem as this is the second time i have to do this.

i don't know if this is worth mentioning but in the airport utility nothing comes up. is this normal?

any help will be greatly appreciated!!! thanks